If I buy my iPhone directly from AT&T online, what is the process?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Barbs, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Barbs macrumors 6502

I want to try and take advantage of the M$ Live 25% off via online purchase. I was planning on going into an AT&T store in person and buying it there. I want to put my phone on my sisters family plan because she gets 24% off from her work.

If I buy the phone online will I get hit a full months phone and data plan? Lets say I put it on my sisters plan the day I receive and activate the phone.

Anyone have any insight on how this would play out?

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

You initially pay for the iPhone first (online) then expect the monthly bill from the carrier to contain all those activation fees, monthly dues etc

Are you talking about adding it to an existing family plan? Or converting your sisters plan into a family plan?

3. Barbs thread starter macrumors 6502

my sisters plan will be converted to a family plan first and then my iphone, and also my wife's iPhone will be added to my sisters account.

Our contract with sprint is up in about a week. So me, my wife and my sister were going to all go to at&t together and my wife and I would order iphones and immediately put them on my sisters family plan right there in the store.

But I would love to take advantage of this M$ live cash back offer. We could save $75 on each phone by ordering them via the website.

4. kinkster macrumors 6502a

Are you sure you can buy two new iPhones and add them to an existing family plan? I think you'll have to extend the sister-family plan-contract to two years after when you buy your iPhones.

Also ATT.com has a limit of ordering only one iPhone online at once. I suppose you could just order them seperatly but I'm not sure.

5. Barbs thread starter macrumors 6502

We will try and order them seperately. AT&T told my sister that she could switch her plan to a family plan at anytime. The phones that she adds to the family plan would have different contract dates than her current iphone.

6. Barbs thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anyone know when the porting of the number takes place when you order from at&t online? Does the porting take place the day you order it? Or does it take place once you receive the phone and activate it?

The reason I ask is becuase our sprint contract is up as of this thursday. Would be nice to order the iphone early next week and then just activate it on thursday. I'm just afraid that at&t will port the number before they ship the phone and then I could be stuck with a ETF from sprint.

7. nickwc macrumors newbie

When I ordered mine from AT&T online the phone was delivered with the sim card already in the phone and once I connected the iphone to my computer that activated the phone and within 20 minutes my number was ported to at&t. My concern is this was done last Friday and my blackberry from Verizon still has service. I can only make outgoing calls on it and all incoming goto my iphone but I am still getting text messages and my blackberry that I am not getting on my iphone. I am getting texts on my iphone but it seems from only people on my contacts. I just paid my bill for this month on Verizon and I am going to wait and see if maybe Verizon was waiting for me to pay it to fully transfer the number. If not I am going to call at&t.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Here's my recommendation: DO NOT port your number during the ordering process. Let them assign you a new number. When you get your phone, try it out and make sure you like it. When you are certain you're going to keep the phone and service, call up AT&T (using a different phone, not the phone you're porting your number to) and let them know you'd like to port your Sprint number over to your new iPhone. They'll transfer you to porting, and they'll take care of the rest.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No, Verizon is not waiting for you to pay your bill, nor are they allowed to delay porting of your number because you have an unpaid bill. Even if you have a late balance, the FCC requires phone companies to process the port, and they're prohibited from holding the number hostage because you have a balance.

Your port didn't complete, and something is wrong. Call AT&T and let them know.

10. nickwc macrumors newbie