If I buy new touch, do I need to buy 2.0 again?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pacers721, Sep 8, 2008.

1. pacers721 macrumors member

Hi, I have a ipod toch and I'm planning on selling it and buying another one with more memory. Will I have to pay for the 2.0 firmware again?

thanks

2. 215512 Guest

No

No. The software update is yours to keep. Just make sure you fully wipe your iPod before selling it, so the new owner does not have 2.0 as this would be illegal and cause problems for him and you when he connects it to the computer. However, be advised that the new iPod's come out tomorrow and they will include 2.0 at no charge.

-superhamster

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

This is a question I would suggest that you ask Apple about, since I doubt that anyone has encountered it.

That being said, I would suspect that you would have to buy it again, since the update it tied to the SN of the iPod touch, not your iTunes account.

TEG

4. 215512 Guest

No

No, it's tied to your iTunes account. I have a friend who was two iPod Touches and he purchased iPod 2.0 ONCE and uses them both just fine. BUT, as I said before, new iPod's are coming out tomorrow that will include 2.0, so it does not really matter anyway.

-superhamster

5. Bob-S macrumors newbie

I had the same question for the same reason you asked so I called an Apple store rep and the answer give was you will have to re-purchase the upgrade

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no its tied to your account. it will most probably be downloaded still on your computer anyways.