If I buy the Apple iOS Dev account individually but I sign under my dad's name...?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by MathBunny123, Aug 18, 2013.

1. MathBunny123 macrumors regular

Hello! I'm 14 years old and I want to make apps for the iOS platform. I've already made some 3D games, but sadly I cannot place them on my physical iPod Touch for testing.

With this being said, could I sign up for the $99 program under my dad's name and still test the apps? And one more question - how many devices could I use?

2. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

You should NOT sign the contract under your Dad's name. It's a binding legal contract, and you could get you and your father in a lot of trouble if you represent yourself as him. (You would be committing criminal fraud by signing contracts, because you have to be 18 in order to sign contracts.)

Ask him to sign up and be the "team agent", and make you an admin. You can do everything but sign contracts as an admin, which is perfect.

You can install test apps on up to 100 devices per developer account, but the developer provisioning profiles expire and have to be renewed fairly regularly (every 90 days if memory serves.)

3. bindle macrumors regular

4. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Still shows 100 device slots my side.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

He needs to be very comfortable with this, if you take this approach. He is signing the legally binding contract, he is agreeing to all the conditions of it and the developer program, he is taking on the extra financial (taxes, etc.) obligation.

6. MathBunny123 thread starter macrumors regular

Woah, thanks for telling me! I never knew that...

----------

This isn't as simple as I initially thought...

7. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

That's news to me. Where did you hear that? Can you point me to a link on Apple's site that tells us we get 200 devices? That would be a help to us. We use device slots for remote beta testers. We haven't hit 100 yet, but we're getting close, and having 200 slots would take the pressure off.

8. MathBunny123, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013

MathBunny123 thread starter macrumors regular

It was on Macrumors a couple of days ago.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1623870

9. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

I just looked in the developer portal and the total of the number of existing devices and the number of available devices adds up to 100. If Apple is increasing the device count to 200, they haven't done it yet.

Can you post the link here?

10. bindle macrumors regular

Haven't seen any official word yet - just saw by the MacRumors post and signed in to see that I indeed had 200 total slots available.

[​IMG]

I first heard of it 2 days ago, so I'm surprised it hasn't rolled wider yet.

Let me add that 2 accounts I manage have been upgraded to 200 devices, and both were recently renewed between June & August.

11. MathBunny123 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, I just went to the Apple store and they stated that I should sign up under my dad's name...and it doesn't matter even if it's illegal.

:confused:

12. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

They are idiots. The folks in the Apple store don't know anything about the developer program. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Just have your dad sign up as the "team agent" with you as an admin.

13. MathBunny123 thread starter macrumors regular

True, ha ha. Anyways, it's the same cost - $99 - for team agent, correct?

14. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

A developer account is $99/year.

Apple has various team roles for the developers on an account. One person has to be the team agent. That's the person who signs the legal agreements. The team agent can do everything. This person must be a legal adult.

You can also create an admin account, who does everything else BUT sign legal agreements. Then you can have a team member, who can't set up new apps, create certificates, etc. They can only build apps that were created by the team agent.

For 1 person shops, you might ONLY have a team agent.

A father/kid team might have the dad as the team agent and the kid as an admin.

15. pdjudd macrumors 601

The Apple store employees are not legal representatives of the Developer and you should never take their advice on legal matters (like signing a legal contract.

You should only be asking the relevant employees - and that would be the developer program representatives.

16. xArtx macrumors 6502a

When I went to the Apple Store, and told the salesperson I needed an Intel
    based Mac Mini to run the development environment for iOS devices,
    He replied "When you're done with that, they make a great media player".

17. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

They were right. Mac Minis do make excellent media players. I would prefer a mini over an Apple TV.