If I buy the new 24" 2.8 iMac, will it last me through high school?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by I'm a Mac, Nov 14, 2007.

1. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

Only a little more than 2 years ago, I got my first mac in April 2005, a 1.8 GHz iMac G5 with 1GB of memory. Now, it's pretty much obsolete (for what I'm using it for). I can't run everything I want to run. I have trouble with leopard, my computer is a bit slow, quits, can't run the latest apple software (e.g. iMovie, iChat backdrops), etc. I know the reason is probably because apple switched to intel, so powerpc computers are left in the dust, but if I buy the new 24" 2.8 iMac now, will it last me 4-5 years?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Depends entirely on what new software you want to run in the future, which we can't predict.

As long as you continue using 2008 vintage software, there's no reason other than random chance of breakdown, that it wouldn't continue to serve you in 2013.

But if you have to add OS 10.9 and Office 2011 then all bets are off.

3. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

so at the age of 13 you bought a 1,000 dollar computer? by yourself?

but to answer your question, yes, most likely. probably more so than most any other computer.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uhh...

What the heck are you running that a 1.8ghz G5 can't handle?

I have a 12" powerbook (Leopard) that runs most everything just fine...

5. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Very funny, plumosa, but to answer your question my dad bought the computer. Anyway, the problems I've been having with my G5 are iTunes, safari, and occasionally finder crashes with similar error messages: something like KERN BAD ACCESS FAILURE. But I can't run backdrops in photobooth, effects in ichat, the new iMovie, or edit HD footage.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah, but...

That doesn't sound like a hardware limitation, more like a hardware problem.

7. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it may be both. There's nothing I can do about running backdrops, editing HD footage or running iMovie, but how do I fix the kern bad access failure/quits etc.? Especially because disk utility repairing permissions doesn't really work in Leopard.

8. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

eh, I was just calling you out on your lie. Trust me, nobody would have cared if you said "my dad bought it" or "I've had a computer for a little over two years" because nobody expects a 13 year old to buy their own computer. So just be honest!

;)

9. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't mean to lie, I just should of used the word "got" instead of "bought" I really wasn't trying to fool anyone.

10. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Disk Utility in Leopard...

Certainly does work! Do not know why you say it does not! You running disk utility from the Hd or the DVD install disk?? Apple recommends that you use the DVD, even though others on here do not.

I just bought the 2.8 extreme imac, maxed the RAM and am very very happy with this computer! New aluminum keyboard is sweet!

11. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Jesus, a little pedantic aren't we? Just because the OP used "got" instead of "received", they're being dishonest? :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, I'm buying a MacBook Pro soon and I'd like to think it'll last me that long (that's if I want it that long). I bought a Core Duo iMac last summer that was absolutely amazing in every way except portability, which I need at university.

Do some homework at an Apple store and see if the current iMac will do everything you'll want it to. Then, unless the reasons you use your Mac change, there'll be no reason why it won't still be great for you years down the line.

12. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

To put it bluntly your computer isn't obsolete you just need to learn how to maintain it. If you take the same attitude with a new imac you will have the same old problem in a year or so. By all means get a new computer, but you're old one is not useless for any of the purposes you describe. Don't let consumer culture fool you into thinking that. You'd actually do a lot better to wait a bit longer as then you can chuck that cash at a better system than you'd get now, when you're old one is actually on it's last legs! But I don't think it sounds like you're having issues with hardware redundancy. I'm 99% sure that if you reinstalled Leopard, after having backed up your important stuff, and wiping the system drive, things would be dandy. I'd also see what happens in future updates. Even once Apple stop supporting PPC I doubt the open source community will do so for a good while afterwards. It'd still fetch a good price on ebay...

13. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

well he edited the post, he originally said he bought the computer. Honestly I thought it was kinda cute. I remember making white lies like that when I was younger so that I would look cooler. I was just trying to reassure him that nobody cares and that honesty is a better option!

14. paddykev macrumors member

paddykev

The iMac should last you years but obviously computers are constandly being updated with faster processors, more storage, etc etc etc...
    The specs on the iMac should run any software withouy any problems. Hardware will be updated but software takes longer to create and mature. Mac's already run the most advanced operating system and have some of the best spec'd machines available, so basically... forget about worrying about the next new fad and enjoy what you have ;)

15. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

I have the same machine as yours from what it sounds like. 1.83 iMac G5 and I added a gig so it is 1.5 gigs. It flies on Leopard. Obviously as people have said you may just have some issues with it. Before giving up on something that is by no means out of date try a few things first. First I would back everything up and do a complete clean sweep and re install your software and OS. If you are still experiencing problems then yes it is hardware. If it is Ram or the HD those are dirt cheap to replace, especially these days. as I said I have the same machine as a secondary machine and it does a lot of the things you say yours is not.

Kevin

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes it will last you, but you won't be able to play the newest games in 2-3 years.

The G3s are still perfectly serviceable machines ... even the 400Mhz ones.

It will likely still be able to do most all the homework you need to do throughout high school, unless you decide to take some classes in the senior year requiring some of the pro tool Apple applications.

Most of the normal business apps should run fine for the next 4 years, except for the pro tool apps which may grow beyond the current machine. Most likely due to RAM limitations and/or the GPU.

If you have a decent screen now, a refurb Mac Pro will likely have a better chance of keeping up with RAM limits and the GPU limits over 4-5 years.

17. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Up the RAM

I've got the 2 ghz machine and it does all that; and even better after I intalled 10.5. But the big thing I did was install more RAM, maxing out at 2gig. Made a huge difference! Also, I'd recommend backing up your data and doing a clean install of 10.5. I'd been having some issues and this cleared them up!

Good luck!

Coachingguy

18. spice weasel macrumors 65816

It will last you just fine

I have a 1GHz PowerBook G4 12" that is 4 years old and I use it every day. It's running Tiger now, but I'm thinking of installing Leopard on it. I don't use it to play games, but it works well for everything else I do on it.

Hell, I even have an 8-year old 400 MHz G4 Yikes! (the first G4 to come out, with PCI graphics) and it still runs fine for word processing, email, web surfing, and playing some old games on, although I don't use it much.

So, to answer your question, depending on what you need it for, a new iMac will certainly last you 4 years.

19. liveexpo macrumors member

Yup. I'm typing on a 900/G3, having just updated to 10.4.11. Running like a charm. I guess its the disposable society we live in that makes people think that these machines will be 'obsolete' in a matter of years (look up the def, by the way.)....I would LOVE to have that 1.8 G5!! I've been running PS.CS1/2, and much of the creative suit for some time now.......

G3 is dead! Long Live G3!

20. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Guess I'm just having some issues... Maybe 10.5.1 will help. thanks for your advice.

21. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I sold my Powermac G5 but saved my Powerbook G4. I used the G5 for the raw speed and it is disappointing that some features with iLife and Leopard don't work with it. I don't think anyone could have predicted that the G5 would be so easily replaced and so fast. And seeing my Macbook Pro easily run rings around it with encoding video finally got me to sell it.

With a G4 / G3, our expectations are much lower knowing that are stuff is slow technically. But they perform above most expectations. I think the G5 is the only PowerPC chip that performs less than what we wish it could do considering the huge sales pitch it had when it was released.

It is difficult to know if people will feel this way towards to 2.8 iMac of some radical change is made again.

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If under Apple care, make an appointment with Genius Bar and bring it in.

Installing Leopard? Do "Archive and Install", do not upgrade.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If you're having these kinds of problems, your RAM may have gone bad. This isn't an Intel/PPC issue. Your should run the hardware test from your install disc.

24. flipperanubi, Nov 15, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  25. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

If it helps, I'm planning on my 2.8 iMac to last 4-5 years. And I have every confidence that it will. My old G4 PowerMac lasted 6 years (though for the last year or two it was too slow).