If I change my itunes country settings, do my apps still receive updates?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by iscawill, Jan 9, 2010.

1. iscawill macrumors newbie

If I change my itunes account country settings, do my apps still receive updates? I'm talking about general and international apps, like taptap and facebook, not very localized ones, like... HK MTR maps or whatever. Or do I have to repurchase the app to receive updates?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

General apps like facebook etc will. Localized apps I would say no.

3. davwin macrumors regular

I run 2 accounts from different countries simultaneously on the same computer and iTunes does show updates available for apps from either region when I click on "Check For Updates". However, it doesn't actually apply the updates for all of the apps. In my case, I apply the updates that I can, then log into the alternate country account and re-run "Check For Updates" to download and apply the remaining updates. hope that helps...

4. jsamuelson macrumors member

jsamuelson

I would like to know this too. To clarify, my situation and that of the original poster is not having two separate iTunes accounts, one for each country, but switching countries in the account settings for your current account.

For example, I want to switch back to the UK store after living elsewhere. Having spent a fair amount on over 300 apps over the years, I need to know that they will update OK and I won't have to re-purchase all of them.

Any actual real-world experiences much appreciated.

5. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

On the iPhone, when you check for Updates from the App Store, it will show which apps installed on the iPhone have been updated regardless of country. It will only update the Apps on the account currently logged into to the App Store from the iPhone.

To check which account, go to Settings > Store. Change the account here accordingly to update the apps that are tied to the account/country.

Syncing to your iTunes will save all the apps regardless which account/country you have log in at the time of sync.

I hope this helps.

6. jsamuelson macrumors member

jsamuelson

Thanks very much for your answer, but it's not quite what I'm looking for.

My scenario is this:

Let's take an app purchase. I am logged into my one iTunes account, with my country set to Switzerland and using my Swiss credit card.

1. I buy the app. All is well. When an update is released I can download it no problem, free as usual.
    2. I move back to the UK. As you might think, you have a new UK address and a new UK credit card, so you change country to UK in your account settings.

Do the apps that I originally purchased while living in Switzerland update without any issues now I have changed country to the UK? Or are they subject to the same ridiculous geographical restrictions and will Apple force me to re-purchase these apps in order to get updated versions?

Just to be clear this is not about having multiple accounts for different countries. It is regarding changing country in your existing one iTunes account.

Thanks!

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Can you do that? YOu might not be able too....

I'd set up another account in your current country using a free App, then try changing it to a UK addy and see what happens.

8. jsamuelson macrumors member

jsamuelson

You can change countries more or less freely in your account settings, given that you can provide a valid billing address and method of payment (which could be a gift card from that country).

I might do just that, set up a test account, and experiment. Just thought I couldn't be the first person to do it!

Thanks for replying.

9. Jeeters macrumors newbie

You are definitely not the first person to do it. I thought I was when I did this a year ago when I moved from the US to the UK, couldn't find an answer. I finally called Apple and the person on the phone assured me that it would work. So I took the chance and changed my account to a UK account and it worked!

So short answer is yep, your apps will continue to receive updates.

10. jsamuelson macrumors member

jsamuelson

@Jeeters, thanks very much, good to know.

I hope you're enjoying the UK! Bet you didn't think it would snow quite as much. Nobody else did either. ;)

Are there exceptions to the rule? ie If you bought a US-only app before, which is not available in the UK store, does it still update itself?

11. Jeeters macrumors newbie

Thanks! I can't tell you how much I am loving it here. Very happy. The snow has been a surprise! I thought it was hard to believe when it snowed last winter, but this one has it beat by far! Hope you are excited about your move to the UK, as well.

As for the app issue, I had about 150 or so apps when I moved and I don't think I had any that were region specific. The only issue that I had, that could potentially have come from this, was where my update icon in iTunes was showing, say 5, updates. When I went in to update them, there would only be 4 updates for example. I believe this was caused by duplicate updates in my apps folder, but when I did the iTunes 9 Media Organisation option it filtered out those duplicates and I never had a problem again.

12. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

sorry or the late post but i have to know did the apps transferred to the new country without you having to buy them again? thanks for the reply.

13. jsamuelson macrumors member

jsamuelson

Hi - the answer is NO you do not have to buy the apps again.

However, in order to have them update properly I had to manually redownload each app (you don't have to delete them, just download them again) and only then did the automatic app updates happen smoothly.

Also, there may be some apps that are not available in the new region, and these will just not update at all, as far as I am aware.

Hope this helps!

14. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

that realy helped. i was very concerned because i have spent alot of money for apps and i use those apps freqently.
    and again thanks for you reply and sorry for posting on a thread that was several months old.

15. legacyb4 macrumors 6502

If you carry a balance in your account, you will not be able to change countries though!

16. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

No you have to use your ballance first. Which is hard if because you cant use 25€ for apps that cost 0.79€ without having a couple of cents left