If I delete a song(s) from my iTunes library will I still have it on my desktop?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, May 11, 2013.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

I have a Dell PC if that makes any difference. I want to clean up my iPhone and remove a bunch of songs I don't listen to but still keep them on my computer in case I decide to later on. Will deleting them from iTunes delete them from my computer too?

I tried to Google this question and very strangely I couldn't find any info on this issue. Isn't that a common concern of people? Anyway, thanks!

2. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Why not just sync them off of your computer and leave them in iTunes? They would still be on your computer just not your phone.

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

What are you talking about?

4. Ann P, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013

Ann P macrumors 68020

What are YOU talking about? Lol. You can choose 'Sync Only Checked Songs' and just check off the songs you want on your phone. You don't have to delete them off of iTunes. It is really easy.

5. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

You can even leave sync only checked songs marked in iTunes and uncheck the songs you don't want on your device. Then sync. The songs are still on your computer but not your device.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Is so simple.

So u uncheck the songs u don't want to go into ur phone, no need to delete them from iTuned, them at next sync all unchecked songs will be removed from phone.

If this doesn't work it means the checkbox that says SYNC CHECKED SONGS ONLY is blank so turn it on already.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I saw this earlier and decided to stay out of it for exactly this reason...

8. Ann P macrumors 68020

I guess my post was a little confusing. Will edit it.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Oh no, you were fine, I just knew the op would require a lot more hand holding...

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

If you buy the songs from your phone they will download onto your phone and stay there unless you manually delete them. so it really depends on how you got them on your phone.

11. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

What if I don't want them in iTunes?

12. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Then select the songs one by one by holding the shift key and selecting them. Then right click the selected songs and select delete. It will then give you the option to save or delete the files off of your computer.

13. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Ya I want my iPhone and iTunes to be streamlined, and clean up all the music I don't listen to. So up until now only the songs that have been checked have been on my phone?

14. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I'm still unsure of what your ultimate end goal here is. Do you not want the songs you don't listen to on your computer either? If not, just delete them on the computer.

If you do want them on your computer, but not on your phone, either do what others have said and uncheck songs you don't want or just make a playlist. I never uncheck anything in iTunes. I make playlists and manually manage the media on my iPhone.

15. Mrbobb macrumors 601

OK Then, to make them disappear from both phones and iTune, u do the DELETE.

This Deletes from the iTune's catalog and stop managing those songs, nothing more.

16. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

No, my goal is to delete them from iTunes but keep them on my computer.

----------

And this will keep them on my computer?

17. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

When you delete it asks if you would like to keep the file or put it in the trash. At least on OS X it does. I don't know if it does the same for mass deletion or not.