If I delete my iCloud account from my phone will it delete my keyboard shortcuts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Nov 18, 2014.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

I have a weird situation. For some reason my 4S (7.1.2) prompts me to login into iCloud every time I restart my phone, w the old email I no longer use. When I try to type in my password, it says it's incorrect. When I try to reset the password via email, it doesn't send. When I try to reset via security questions, it says the answer I give is wrong.

Somehow I also have an iCloud under my new email. I cannot figure out how to get into my settings to remove the old email or if it's even possible and not just a glitch.

I feel like at this point I just want to delete the iCloud account from my phone and login under the new email that I have the password for, then backup my keyboard shortcuts on that one so I can access them from my 5S. Will deleting the old account remove anything from my phone or cloud drive and delete it permanently? Will I lose access to anything? This is very confusing, I have no idea how this happened.

2. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

This can't be an iOS 7 bug bc they restored from backup on my 4S w 7.1

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

4. TH55, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014

TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Nothing to do with Jailbreaking, both of my 4S were jailbroken and I tried this before I jailbroke my 5S.

5. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Will deleting my iCloud account from my phone delete all of the keyboard shortcuts?

6. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

I have no idea what happens if you delete your icloud account

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

First off I have no experience using keyboard shortcut, I think they sync to iCloud under the documents/data category.

To take a step back, remember an iCloud account is a reflection of an AppleID. Seems you have two AppleID's and most likely there's some piece of music on the old phone that still had DRM attached to an old AppleID. Semi-guessing here but that's the most likely IMHO.

First thing I'd suggest is go to iforgot.apple.com and try to recover the old AppleID its asking for. If that doesn't work try calling Apple; I'm told they can sometimes ask security questions related to the account that aren't the online ones. Never tried it myself.

Then back up the phone just for the sake of it (and possible 3rd party backup file extracts) and turn off iCloud sync for everything. See if the shortcuts are still there. Next try signing out of iCloud entirely and then add a new account for the new iCloud account. This is where I honestly don't know what will happen. It *should* sync the shortcuts on the phone up to the newer iCloud account and merge with any that are there.

But this is just GUESSING... proceed at your own risk.

8. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I switched iCloud accounts on my phone and it didn't delete any content from my device. The only thing it won't do is sync songs from the iTunes store that were purchased under the old ID.

I've never used keyboard shortcuts, so I'm not 100% sure on those, but since they sync to Docs I don't see why they'd vanish if you backed your current phone up to a new account.

Of course, the JB might affect this. Did you check out Apple Support?

And...can you sync to your Mac (iTunes) or will that screw with the JB?

It's been a few years since I ran one of my iPhones JB'd.

9. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I should've mentioned, this is also happening on the 5S which I haven't synced all of my music onto yet. That's a good idea though, and that's what my thought was - remove the old account and add the new one, sync the shortcuts. I'm just worried it will delete them when I delete the old one.

----------

No the jailbreak doesn't effect sync at all. I think I might try that, switching accounts.

10. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Why is it that everyone feels ok jumping in and pummeling me to death anytime I make the slightest criticism of something but when I genuinely need help they ignore me?

11. JayLenochiniMac, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

We're not trying to ignore you on purpose. We've never heard of this issue so we can't help you much. However, jailbreaking is known to screw up stuff like this but you beg to differ as to the cause of your problem.

12. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh ok sorry. Yeah I thought of that first but it was an issue before I even jb the 5S.

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

Exactly this. Even what I posted above was largely speculation as I've never had the issue, never heard of the issue, and never created/used custom keyboard shortcuts.

Lack of response is more often a matter of people just not having an answer than it is anything personal.

14. jldesutter83 macrumors regular

jldesutter83

I changed emails on my account a year and a half ago when I got married. I kept getting a sign in prompt too and the password was coming up wrong as well. I think I went into the settings for icloud and removed the acct, and readded with the new email and everything was fine after that. Nothing was removed from my phone including keyboard shortcuts.

15. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Awesome thx. Sounds like a glitch on Apple's end.