If I didn't care for the first watch should I try the new one ?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mrskullfreak, Sep 8, 2016.

1. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

so the first watch didn't really do much for me.
    I tried it twice a few months apart and sold it both times.
    I like to try this new one only because I like to get the newest tech available
    Just wondering ur thoughts on it
    Would it be worth it to try agin?
    Thx

2. Fynd macrumors 6502

Probably worth it to try again simply because of Watch OS 3. The combination of that and the new hardware will make for a dramatically different impression, I would assume. I loved OS 3 on my 1st gen during the beta.

3. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

What didn't you like about the original watch?

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The watches are basically the same aside from a CPU overhaul and added sports tracking and water resistance. Unless you were missing the sports aspects of the first Watch I don't see this division impressing you. Watch os 3 is honestly a bigger change IMO than the overall hardware.

5. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

First one just didn't impress me.
    Well I will probably get it and return if I don't like it

6. BarracksSi, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Glad we could help. :D
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    This ^^^^^

From what the watchOS 3 beta users have been saying, all the performance complaints about the first AW -- using wos1 and wos2, remember -- have been addressed, and most interface frustrations have been changed for the better.

Sure, I'll bet the new Series 1 and 2 watches will be faster than the Gen1 hardware in a side-by-side speed test. I'll also bet that if the new hardware was running watchOS 1 instead of 3, people would be complaining anyway.

And, OP, "first one didn't impress me" is a very vague answer. What wasn't impressive? Screen size, weight, OS stability, third-party devs not trying hard enough*, ... You've got a few clear reasons, I'm sure.

*(when the same concept can be built as a well-polished, stable, useful app by one developer and a buggy pile of turd by a different developer, the rotten app is not Apple's fault.)

7. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

It just wasn't useful for my day to day life.
    It was easier just to look at my phone basically

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

If you've always got your phone in hand or nearby on the table, yes, it's easier (or at least just as easy). When I'm sitting at my computer—which is logged into my iCloud account and gets texts and calls, too—and my phone is next to it on the table, I hardly use my AW at all.

But whenever I'm not at my computer, like if I'm walking to work or school, or when I'm out shopping with my wife, or if I just don't need to carry my phone all over the apartment like a favorite toy ... that's when I use my AW the most.

I can point to two separate occasions when it made its strongest case:

- The first time I walked home from work and carried my iPhone in my gym bag, using the watch to send and receive texts from my wife. Short texts, like, "Hey Siri, tell my wife I'm on my way home," "Need anything from the market?", etc, and honestly, not enough to require typing them on an entire smartphone. I've never felt comfortable walking and typing (I spend enough time dodging around other people as they walk-and-type, fer christ's sakes), so it was really nice to just fire off a quick text without breaking stride.

- Going Christmas shopping with my wife, while carrying my phone just in case I started getting messages from work, I realized I was becoming one of those husbands who'd follow around, face buried in a phone, browsing Facebook or playing Candy Crush. So, I put my phone in her purse. I didn't have to worry about missing any messages (indeed, I got a couple, and they only needed me to reply with "OK"), and I had a nice day of shopping with my wife -- participating with her, spending quality time with her, which I wasn't able to do for most of the week.

There are a bunch of apps I use now and then, and the watch has some unique tricks, but the best thing about it for me is that it lets me put away the phone without isolating myself from the people who need to reach me.

9. 2010lexus macrumors member

So why buy the new Apple watch. Sounds like a big waste of time for you to buy it. Lol