if i exchange my ipad for another one, what to do with my personal info?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kevjen888, Mar 12, 2011.

1. kevjen888 macrumors 6502

especially the data plan i already purchased for this month. is there a way to erase all the credit card info for the data plan and itune? Best Buy has 14 days return/exchange policy, i many exchange my 64G for a lower capacity one if they have it.

2. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think you can sync and then restore as new. And when you get the new one, restore from backup. Is that right?

Plus I think the data plan is tied to the sim.

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

Settings > General > Reset > Erase will remove everything from the iPad (your personal data)

Not sure about the AT&T part though.

4. kevjen888 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, i'm afraid the month by month charge is not transferable, i will ask AT&T today when i go in cancel my iphone service.

5. kevjen888 thread starter macrumors 6502

i called At&T asked what should i do with the cellular subscription i already made, she told me to swap the sim card and call Apple to let them know the new serial number off the ipad i exchanged for. i seriously doubt best buy will let me do that. any other idea?

6. itcrashed macrumors regular

itcrashed

Simply swap the SIM. The SIM is not tied to the serial number of the iPad.

7. kevjen888 thread starter macrumors 6502

would best buy let me do that? i guess they would since the one i'm returning back won't be selling as a brand new unit anyway.

8. xraytech, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

xraytech macrumors 68020

Go to Settings > Reset > Erase All Content & Settings

Replace iPad

On your new iPad got to Settings > Cellular Data > View Account

Enter the e-mail and password you used on your previuos iPad. This will associate your already paid for data plan to your new SIM. I know this because I've had to replace my iPad 1 twice.

9. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

you don't have to replace and you shouldn't have to return it with the sim card since AT&T will give you one free. Keep your SIM, get a new one from an AT&T store drop it in and return it. Your existing SIM is tied to the IMEI # of the iPad but as long as two devices aren't using the same SIM card at once you shouldn't have to update anything. and the suggestions above me are just as good

10. kevjen888 thread starter macrumors 6502

it makes sense, i doubt they would let me take out the sim card of a brand new ipad like that. but what about the credit card info i stored on my old sim card? granted it requires logins to access the cellular subscriber info but someone can easily hack into it no?

11. xraytech, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

xraytech macrumors 68020

All your credit card info is stored in some secure server some where out there. All that info is not stored on the SIM. In iOS devices like the iPad and iPhone the SIM is basically a Membership Card, it's just a number. When you get a replacement Membership Card all they do is replace the number that is associated with your account.

12. Rigby macrumors 601

It's not stored on the SIM, but AT&T has probably associated your billing info with the SIM. You should try to swap the SIMs. Also, I would recommend to cancel your current plan while you still have the old iPad, just in case you cannot access it anymore later (otherwise AT&T will keep renewing the plan).

13. kevjen888 thread starter macrumors 6502

good thinking, thanks.

14. kevjen888 thread starter macrumors 6502

so AT&T would just give you another blank sim? what about i switch the sim and latter best buy found out the newly inserted sim is not sync with the ipad serial number.

15. xraytech macrumors 68020

Making it way to complicated. No need to swap SIMs, no need to call AT&T, no need to call anyone.

Just...

ERASE - Erase all Settings & Content
    REPLACE - Trade in for another iPad
    REACTIVATE - Enter your E-mail & Password, your current data plan will transfer to the new SIM

Done

16. kevjen888 thread starter macrumors 6502

i logged into my ipad, cancel the subscription and found out the billing info got swiped out as well. oh well, there you have it. i'm ready to return it.