Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hydrocity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Hey, I have been looking around these forums, and I will Jailbreak tom morning when I am not tired.

I looked around, and wanna try SSH to do things such as custom ringtones, replace certain app icons, etc.

If for some stupid reason, I mess something up while SSH, my phone is not screwed right? A simple restore will fix?

Also, I am going to try to do the following tom:

Winterboard
Five Icon Dock
MiWi (or MiFi? lol)
BiteSMS or QuickReply (Dont know what one yet)
Lock info
SBSettings

All work right? I am on 4.0.1 on the iPhone 4. Are there any problems with apps such as Lock Info? During my brief look through that massive thread I saw that somethings were not working properly...

Also, is SBSettings updated to work nicely with the retina display yet, or will I have to SSH.

I am going to bed now, if anyone would like to be a hero, you can link me to some tutorials, or places where I can learn to get custom SMS ringtones.

Thanks

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
Yes. You can restore and re-jailbreak your phone. IMO it's pretty hard to screw up your phone with SSH unless you don't know what you're doing and delete some important files.

Anyhow, read up on some tutorials and good luck

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
What many fail to do is make a copy of the file(s) they are replacing/editing. As long as you do that, if you mess something up (short of making it unbeatable) you can just SSH in and change it back

Edit: Make your own ringtones with iTunes. Google the method. There’s no need to use ones already made when you can make them from your own music.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
A good site for ringtones is shown below. You can download them and sync them through Itunes.

http://audiko.net/

You can also get Ringtones on Cydia. However, since you lose the Cydia ones if you have to restore. I recommend using openSSH to copy them off the phone and onto the desktop and then SYNC them through Itunes.

lostboyz

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Singapore
A good site for ringtones is shown below. You can download them and sync them through Itunes.

http://audiko.net/

You can also get Ringtones on Cydia. However, since you lose the Cydia ones if you have to restore. I recommend using openSSH to copy them off the phone and onto the desktop and then SYNC them through Itunes.

the site doesnt seems to work nowadays, cant d.l the ringtones at all..

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
the site doesnt seems to work nowadays, cant d.l the ringtones at all..

Not sure what your problem is I just went to the site selected an artist chose song then the iphone ringtone chose download and got it no problem.
I do this on my desktop not the phone.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
i don't recommend installing winterboard. it completely kills the great battery life of the i4. i was at 52% with 51 minutes of usage and 12 hrs standby.

even after uninstalling it my battery life sucked so i had to completely restore.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
I have Winterboard installed but have seen no decrease in battery life. If anything I've seen an increase. YMMV.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
i don't recommend installing winterboard. it completely kills the great battery life of the i4. i was at 52% with 51 minutes of usage and 12 hrs standby.

even after uninstalling it my battery life sucked so i had to completely restore.

Simply installing WB shouldn’t do that. What themes do you have?

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California

I have WinterBoard installed and no battery life issues. If you uninstalled and the battery issue remained, it was not WinterBoard.

S-

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Simply installing WB shouldn’t do that. What themes do you have?
i only had clear lockscreen and a matte badge theme.
I have WinterBoard installed and no battery life issues. If you uninstalled and the battery issue remained, it was not WinterBoard.

S-

i know for a fact it was winterboard because i had 0 battery issues before using it. maybe not the winterboard app itself, but the themes mentioned above.

also, after i restored i reinstalled everything i had before except winterboard and my battery life is back to pre-jailbreak status.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.