If I get 1 bar of 3G in my house, will I get zero LTE bars?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mysteriouskk, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Mysteriouskk macrumors member

Just wondering if LTE is stronger or weaker than 3G signals.

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

It depends on where the LTE tower is as well as the frequency. Also, what carrier you use matters as well.

3. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

what company do you have??? if you have at&t and have only one bar call them and tell them they will give you a free micro cell tower. They did for me!

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If 3G signal isn't good where you are, then it's not very likely that LTE will be any better for quite a long while.

5. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

you could always get a cellular amp and antenna and get full signal :D

6. trevorlc macrumors member

Find someone you know with your wireless provider who has a LTE device invite them over and look at their phone. Probably the most accurate way to know, what you might be able to expect.

3G and LTE operate on different frequencies and because of that different wattages. They are also generally different ways of processing data wirelessly. All of that plus 100 other aspects that can affect wireless signals.

I live in the middle of San Diego, which ATT as covered rather well there is about a 4 block area in my neighborhood in side of which I live that ATT can go from full bars to 'No Service' in the blink of an eye. My neighbors and I who had ATT complained so much they sent out techs to our area to measure signal strengths and such, never did fix it and most of us switched to Verizon after a couple of years and going through those stupid Micro Cells they tried to give us and say it was fixed. My roommate still has ATT and still has the same problem, every other company (VZ, TMobile, Sprint) perfect coverage...

Short Version: there is no way to know until you do!

7. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

It depends, my old Samsung Replenish ( I was dating a hippie at the time, don't judge! Its a low end android phone made out of 100% bio degradeable materials, which I think is cool ). Only had 3G, and at her house it only got 1 bar of signal on sprint, which well, it worked. Just not very fast.

Same house ( still friends ), my iPhone gets horrible signal on its sprint connection, and my personal phone, a big sexy Galaxy S3, gets full signal on 4G.

Depends on the phone, and carrier. And weather its 3G or LTE.

----------

Best 100 dollar purchase from sprint ( they offer a free one, but I went for a REALLY good one ) I ever made, now my iPhone and S3 get amazing full strength signal at home. Yes, I have wifi, but that doesn't help much with phone calls.

And I'm lazy.

8. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

you may get more. 700 MHz travels farther than 850 and much farther than 1900