If I get a 2015 13"...will I be SOL in 3-5 years when everything is USB-C?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shermy, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Shermy macrumors newbie

Shermy

I'm coming from a windows laptop and this will be my first Mac. Several negative reviews of the 2016 have me leaning towards the 2015 13" (i5, 16GB, 512GB)...what concerns me most is reports of the non-responsive touchbar issues, and graphics issues. I'm also worried that the touchbar will one day crap out on me, and it won't be covered by the warranty (first gen problems).

The 2015 seems like a safe, reliable, and still powerful choice. However, once everything goes full on USB-C...will those of us that are on obsolete ports be left out?

2. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Graphic issues? You mean like this?

Foggy MacBook Pro display

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ggy-MacBook-Pro-display.2004153/&share_type=t

Wait, that's on the 2015 models ;)

I haven't heard about the non-responsive touch bar issues, but that may be because I just haven't dug far enough back. But I think like any of the past models, there is always going to be a percentage of models that have issues.

I can't see peripherals for legacy ports being phased out within the useful lifetime of a 2015 though, that would surprise me. I think for awhile, we will see more stuff shipped with adapters included, but I could be wrong :)

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

There will be adapters, I'm sure.

Where are you finding these negative reviews about non-responsive touchbar issues, and graphics issues?

4. killawat macrumors 65816

The 2015 is a strong machine however the lack of TB3 and USB-C ports are a concern. I'm optimistic about the market place for USBC goods and aside from the initial delay, there are a fair number of options available today. Apple threw TB1/2 folks a huge bone by allowing bidirectional connectivity to TB3 devices, but you don't get the full benefits of TB3 bandwidth wise and of course, power delivery is not an option. Personally, I waited on the 2016 MBP specifically for TB3 connectivity just so I can have the most options available going forward. I wouldn't go as far as to say that ports such as Ethernet and USB-A are "legacy" or "old", but the 2016 MBP still allows me to use both if I want. Heck I can still have FW400 if I want.

5. rutrack macrumors regular

While I severely dislike the new model, I don't think that bad reviews should stop you from getting one and while I wouldn't think you will be left out with standard ports, usb-c has clear advantages, include fast data transfer drives, single wire docks etc. If you're worried about touchbar, get one without it.

6. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

No, you won't be SOL...
    1. Apple doesn't control the accessory market - while they have considerable influences in the changes in design across the industry, which directly affects this market, this is a delayed reaction, as they tend to adopt new standards earlier (sometimes MUCH earlier, and sometimes ones which are not successful, but that isn't the case here.) Accessory makers will cater to Apple customers because, while representing a small fraction of PC Users, they will spend big money (so accessory makers not producing Mac-compatible products are throwing away millions in potential income, and still has to eventually invest in developing products for earlier innovations that started with Apple and made its way across the industry.) But these makers are not going to abandon everyone else anytime soon. Windows computers are not all going to go USB-C overnight, and the enterprise community wouldn't tolerate this for a second (IT managers are not going to upgrade 1,000-20,000 hard drives, mice, and keyboards, external SD card readers, USB-A hubs for flash drives, ethernet adapters, or purchase a quarter of a million dongles - they are going to switch brands. When they do transition, they may spend several years preparing for such a change, first having to expend any bulk stock they already purchased, and may be using certain legacy hardware systems as part of continuing to use Windows 7 for a long as possible [as many organizations skipped 8, and they still have about three years left to transition from 7-->10.])

Apple Users historically have a very positive outlook on the adoption of future technology, but sometimes I would also argue unrealistic expectations on the adoption timeline. Conservatively, I think we have half a decade to go with many PCs offering USB-A and USB-C side-by-side, instead of one over the other (with desktops this could be closer to a decade.) Look at PCI SSDs...that still isn't standard and Apple's been doing it for almost a half a decade!
    2. Look how long it took USB 3.1 gen1 to overtake USB 2. Heck, many new devices being sold today are still USB 2, as there are still some advantages to USB 2 over USB 3
    3. You could always purchase a Thunderbolt 3 dock to use USB 3.1 gen 2 type C, and use the Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter, as it is bidirectional (CalDigit confirmed this for me and said their TB3 dock will work fine with a TB2 Mac) (you could also get eSATA this way, which I am coming to strongly like, and as a Windows User you may already have eSATA devices.)
    4. With presumably greater emphasis on wireless, the importance of any wired connection interface may diminish over time
    5. 3 years from now the computer will still have considerable value, if cared for, so you can always sell it should you decide you want something else

7. Shermy thread starter macrumors newbie

Shermy

Haha, I guess the 2015 has it's issues too. I must say the responses so far have me actually considering the 2016 tbMBP...and not the 13" 2015.

Here are a few videos on the no responsive touchbar....

I have to admit...there are a ton of these videos out there, but these vids along with the graphics issues have me worried (most likely for nothing, lol).

8. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

I don't think you'll be SOL with regards to ports.

Let's be honest... the 2015 and prior MBP only had two USB ports anyway. So even if you have to get an adapter or two for future USB-C devices... it won't be that bad.

Plus... many USB devices have removable cables... so you can just swap out the cable.

Let's say you buy a new device that has a USB-C port on it. All you'd need is this cable to connect to a 2015 MBP:

[​IMG]
    But for things that have a fixed cable... you'll need the dreaded dongle. :)

Just curious... what devices do you routinely connect to the USB-A ports on your current Windows laptop?

9. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Believe or not, $1300+ USB-C laptops are a very very very tiny minority of Computers. Plus, USB-C won't really be widespread until it's the main port on school and work computers.

Hell, even the few people I know who actually have USB-C ports are using adapters, have no dedicated USB C accessories, and some didn't even it existed until I told their laptop had it.

10. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Not at all common for there to be anything more than a very infrequent glitch where the touch bar might freeze. Nothing more serious than spinning beachballs on earlier Macs. There were significant graphics issues early on, but those were fixed with software updates. The ones that remain are highly unusual.

If you're looking at a 13" 2016 with touch bar, there have been a lot of complaints about the battery life. That's about it for that model, apart from the complaints about the keyboard or trackpad size or ports, stuff people disagree about.

11. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Yeah, man. I had to replace the display twice on my Late '13. If I were to go just on my own experience. THAT would be the worst model ever hahaha.

That said, I have had some issues with Apple products in the past, always taken care of via exchange or repair. I have only had this 2016 for 16 days now, so I can't give jack as far as a long term review. But this has been my favorite MBP so far, since I picked up my first one in 2006. Sooo.... best MBP in a decade, imho lol