if i get a MBP 17 with a reg harddrive can i switch it for a sdd later?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arian19, Feb 3, 2010.

1. arian19 macrumors 6502

So i am thinking about getting a mac book pro, when core i7 gets out and what not, but im curious if i get a 500 gb 7200rpm hard drive, is it possible to switch out later for like when a 1tb SSD when they come out. So basically i think im asking is it possible to safety switch a 7200 rpm reg hard drive with a ssd, and are the connectors the same?

-arian

2. enberg macrumors regular

3. rwd hero macrumors 6502

Yes, and it wont void any warranty with apple. You should keep your OEM drive though. Apple is infamous for replacing them with the drive that came in the laptop originally if you need to send it in for repair. So before you send it in for repair (IF you ever need to send it in for repair), you will have to swap the OEM drive back in.

4. arian19 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. arian19 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, never knew that :)

6. enberg macrumors regular

Probably. I very much doubt the released-any-day-now™ MBP's will support SATA 3. SATA 3 drives will be compatible with SATA 2 sockets though, you just won't get the speed boost.

7. Bumble Bee macrumors member

8. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

To sum it up.

Every MBP has user upgradeable hard-drive. That can be replaced with an SSD with SATA interface (Sata II is the current standard, Sata III is backwards compatible with SATA II).

I'd get a fast HDD now and upgrade to an SSD in a year or so but that's just a financial decision.

9. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Yup!

10. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

Yep, swapped mine out in less than an hour, including the reload of my Time Machine backup. Very easy!