if i go in to apple saying my battery dies quickly...will they decline to replace it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Oct 29, 2011.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

i don't wanna waste my time if they are likely to say no...also are they likely to have 16gb white 4s in???

2. chizzer2003 macrumors member

It depends, if you are within warranty it is likely you would get a free replacement. They run diagnostics on your phone which shows results for battery life over the past two weeks - the software calculates whether the battery life is normal or not.

And at the moment, supplies for iPhone 4S's are temperamental with the high demand, so it's a hard question to answer...

3. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Hmmmm…

My sources from beyond the grave say…call them and find out.

4. the caveman macrumors 6502

I actually know a guy who is a genius. He says that the current Apple policy (the one that customers dont see) is to replace the phone with no hassle. In other words yes they should replace it.

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

How much retail stock they have is irrelevant. Warranty replacements are not done from retail stock but brown box stock which is specifically for warranty replacements. It's very unlikely they won't have any brown box stock for warranty replacements. Whether they will replace your phone I have no idea. They may or they may not depending on whether they think it's warranted.

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

The thing is, you need to ask yourself whether you think a replacement will solve your problems.

If poorer battery life is being reported en masse by 4S users, it's probably more likely an issue with the current phone and software combo. I'd wait. You have a year, don't jump the gun to a brown-box refurb before you're sure that Apple won't fix the problem with an update.

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

Brown box products aren't refurbs but brand new products. The reason they are brown box is because they don't include the cables and other bits an pieces.

8. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

My mistake.

9. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Could be wrong but I think the refurb units are in black boxes.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This. Make sure it actually is a battery issue and not a software and/or power consumption issue.

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

A coworker had his replaced due to poor battery life. I haven't talked to him since to see if it made a difference.

12. tr1age macrumors member

tr1age

It will not. There are solutions popping up everywhere. It is software. I'm waiting till my battery dies to post the results but so far it is amazing difference!

http://listentotristan.blogspot.com/2011/10/iphone-4s-batterygate-fix.html

13. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Within the last few days my local Apple store has phones and are replacing quite a few because of battery issues. I know that there were three people at the genius bar with me when I had mine replaced a few hours ago. With great service like this I don't mind having to keep replacing them. This is the third, but since I live less than 15 minutes from the Apple store its not a problem.

14. lam93 macrumors member

went into apple today. apparently 4 hours of battery with every possible location service everything off is how much battery im supposed to get. practically a dumb phone at this point.

i called verizon though and they are sending me a new one.

15. mcafeepepe macrumors member

16. outz macrumors 6502

my battery life isnt horrible... definitely doesnt last as long as my 1+ year old ip4.

17. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Actually you are both right it is just a matter of timing. :D:eek:

Right now with the new iPhone 4S product release all the warranty units are brand new. In the next 90 days you will begin to see Apple remanufactured units in the warranty pipeline. Each remanufactured unit has a new case which includes new front glass and may contain "used serviceable internal" components.

They also used to be in brown carboard boxes but are now in black plastic resealable packaging ( Apple going a little Green ).

Dave

18. hollowplayer macrumors regular

regarding refurbished units, will have different serial# and they are actually have better QA check.

19. SageOne macrumors newbie

I was getting 4 hrs of battery life from my new iPhone 4s and took it in. They did a battery test and the tech helping me just said the battery was good and they would not replace it. As I fussed, another tech came over and explained the analysis and showed me that when two particular parameters on the battery test were nearly identical that it assuredly meant there was a software conflict. I went home, backed up my contacts to the computer and did a RESTORE which restored it to factory settings. Do not restore from your cloud. I got the phone working and put no aditional apps on it. After a full charge, the phone ran for the next two days without needing a charge! I then loaded on my Bluetooth (Noise Asassin) and battery life tanked, again. I took the Bluetooth off and battery life was great, again. I've loaded back some apps, but not the Bluetooth. Battery life is giving me 18 hrs. If you try this and backup to your computer, do not restore from a cloud. Set up your phone as a "new phone." Then when you get your new copy of "factory settings" back that up to your computer and to your cloud. I hope this helps. I will be interested to see if anyone else is having software conflict with Bluetooth devices.