If i go to Portugal how would i use my 3G phone there

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Aug 1, 2008.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

Im go to portugal often, because my family is from there and i have a house there. How would i use my iphone 3g there? Can i use it under att like i have here in the US and just pay long distance usage. I never understood how this worked. do i call ATT and tell them im going to a certain place?

i just wanna use my phone there.

thanks so much

2. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

I think you can call them and turn on some international thing where they don't charge as much... otherwise if there is a cell network there that the iPhone supports you can use that.. just prepare to pay an outrageous amount of fees for it.

3. Inukami macrumors 6502

Or you can try your luck with the sim cutter or simfree software that allows the 3G Iphone to get tricked into thinking its with the same provider, allowing you to use prepaid sim cards from Portugal.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The iPhone will be roaming (the cell towers does the work for you). at&t will charge you $1.99 a minute and even more for data, unless you call them ahead of time and buy the international roaming and the international data packages.

TEG

5. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

6. viggen61 macrumors 6502

If you go that often (more than once per year?), AND you call or get called a lot, you might look into buying one there for use when you're there. International roaming - even on a plan - is not cheap (go to AT&T's website for the rates). Or, get some cheap pay-as-you-go phone, and just use the iPhone for the other things.

I went to Sweden last year with my T-Mobile Ericsson phone. Even on their "plan", calls were 99 cents a minute, tacking on about $30 for just the couple weeks I was there.

:apple::apple: