If I got the 3GS in October what would be the options for getting the 4g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by klamse25, Apr 24, 2010.

1. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

I got my 3GS and I plan on upgrading, but I'm confused what the options are. I don't think I can get the full discount because I got an upgrade not too long ago. Thanks for your help. :D

2. bigpatky macrumors regular

bigpatky

i know at&t lets you qualify for an upgrade after one year but does anyone know if this a full upgrade?

3. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

if you are at the end of your contract, which is unlikely, then you will not be able to upgrade early with a discount.

of course you could sell your 3gs and put it toward the 4g....especially if you list your pone before the 4g is announced officially

4. klamse25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

klamse25

When do you recommend to do that? Because I want to go as little time as possible having to use a dumb phone until the 4g comes out, and play it safe before it's announced. You know what I mean?

5. phrint macrumors 6502

I was required to wait 20 months before I could upgrade my device. If you log into your account through AT&T's site it will tell you when you are eligible to upgrade your phone to any device.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

did you agree to a two year contract not sure what confusing about that. if you check AT&T wireless site it will tell you when you can upgrade according to your plan, or you can call them. ;) they can tell you more at AT&T about your account then members of Macrummors can.

7. klamse25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

klamse25

It's confusing because: 1:There's an early upgrade. 2:There's subsidized. 3:There's unsubsidized. I'm confused on all the terminology and what-not. I doubt I can get the phone for $200, but I see you can get it for $400... How can you get it for $400? And how much is the unsubsidized phone? Sorry I sound kinda stupid, I'm just not familiar with it.:p

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Just like with any other cellphone.
    You want a full subsidy you gotta wait 18 months. Or maybe they will allow an early upgrade for a higher price like last year.
    Gotta wait and see and then call up AT&T to get more details.

9. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Just get it at the full price and sell the 3gs.

10. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Yes, I know what you mean

That would be now. We are two months or so away from the anticipated release date. Gizmodo has already spilled the beans on features. The closer we get to the actual product release, the less your current iPhone will be worth.

11. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

12. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

I recommend waiting for the 5g. Not everybody can upgrade every year, and if you do; you have too much money

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

AT&T allows current iPhone owners to take an early upgrade even before their full upgrade eligibility. Even though I purchased my iPhone only 8 months ago, I can currently purchase a new 3GS for $399/$499 (for the 16 and 32 GB models, respectively). I expect similar pricing options will be available in July. Assuming that the 4G comes in two capacities, I imagine a current iPhone owner will be able to upgrade to it for $399/$499. This is $200 less than retail, but $200 more than the fully-subsidized price.

I expect that my 32 GB original bootrom 3GS with SHSH on file will still fetch around $500 even in July, so that should cover my upgrade.

ETA: Strange. I just checked the website, and it appears that I will be eligible for a full upgrade on 16 months, on January 15. Now I shall have to decide whether it is worth $200 to have the 4G six months early.