If I had to buy one PS2 game what would it be and why?

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Just what the title says. . . With the exception of GT4 and first person shooters(unless you can HIGHLY recommend one, but they are usually not my cup o tea).

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
God of War I or II. The game has several elements from different game genres. Elements of RPGs, strategy, and action are all combined together. Plus, they have good replay value. (Different costumes, unlockables, harder difficulties.)

Comment

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
FFVII and for the reason for it dominating all other games at all times, everywhere. i guess im trying to say im a fan. try it for sure if you havent already

Comment

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What diverse tastes!

I'm going to say the Street Fighter collection thingy, as a life long fan of the series.

Comment

ChrisK018

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
Washington, DC
I'm with MRU: get Okami.

Ico is great too, but too short to be a 'one and only' kind of game, and it also came out so early on in the PS2 life cycle that it looks a bit dated graphically.

Comment

Taustin Powers

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2005
Shadow of the Colossus

Probably the most impressive and powerful game I have played. Not for everyone though, not enough non-stop action for some people. But no other game has sucked me into its universe like that before. The mood/atmosphere is unparalleled. If that is something you can appreciate, you can't go wrong.

Comment

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Washington, DC
Shadow of the Colossus

Probably the most impressive and powerful game I have played. Not for everyone though, not enough non-stop action for some people. But no other game has sucked me into its universe like that before. The mood/atmosphere is unparalleled. If that is something you can appreciate, you can't go wrong.
Highly endorsed. Also check out ICO, the game which preceded Shadow of the Colossus. Similarly engaging, heavily atmospheric, and sports the same "design by subtraction" philosophy. It doesn't hurt that the two games are linked story-wise too. :)

Fumito Ueda is a game-design god. I can't wait for his PS3 games.

Comment

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Kingdom Hearts 2, because it is awesome.

OR Burnout 3, because it is equally awesome to destroy stuff, but the sequel takes out the intensity by letting you crash in to traffic without consequense.

Comment

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2006
God of War I or II. The game has several elements from different game genres. Elements of RPGs, strategy, and action are all combined together. Plus, they have good replay value. (Different costumes, unlockables, harder difficulties.)
thirded

Comment

Taustin Powers

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2005
Highly endorsed. Also check out ICO, the game which preceded Shadow of the Colossus. Similarly engaging, heavily atmospheric, and sports the same "design by subtraction" philosophy. It doesn't hurt that the two games are linked story-wise too. :)

Fumito Ueda is a game-design god. I can't wait for his PS3 games.

I have ICO, and sadly, I could never get really into it. After I finished SotC, I pretty much had a hard time getting into anything else, cause I just kept wishing I was still fighting colossi. ;-) Elder Scrolls: Oblivion eventually managed to suck me in again... I'll probably give ICO another try sometime. SotC was pretty much an impossible act to follow for any game.

I would probably kill a person for a SotC sequel on PS3. ;-)

Comment