If I have a good Geek Bench 2 score on my iPhone 5 does that mean its running at peak

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

performance?

My score is 1641.

Sometimes I get worried my iPhone 5 is not running as fast as it could and was wondering if it was just in my head if I have a good Geekbench 2 score.

Thanks in advance.

2. PaulyD macrumors 6502

3. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok. Does the geek bench 2 score represent the speed?

So if its good around 1641 then it should perform at the same speed at all times?

4. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

Or just use your phone normally and enjoy it without freaking out.

5. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to figure out if Geekbench 2 is a good representation of how fast my iPhone is performing

6. cababah macrumors 68000

No, it will lower clock speeds to save power when idling or not under a heavy CPU load. The A6 will dynamically clock itself.

I have opened Geekbench at times to see the CPU being reported at 600-800MHz when idling at low battery (my guess it to conserve power) and other times it opens showing 1.3GHz (when charging since the CPU doesn't have to worry about power saving or in the middle of an intensive task where the speed ramps up). Try not to get too caught up in the numbers. Even Geekbench results are not 100% accurate.

7. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I am trying hard not to pick on you here.

Your phone will perform differently at different times. If you think its sluggish just do a reset (Home and power button together for 10 seconds)

your geekbench scores will vary.

8. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where does it say the GHz?

When you first open it?

9. cababah macrumors 68000

Yes, close it and re-open and it will report the instantaneous CPU speed it sees upon opening.

It should say something like Processor: Apple A6 @ 1.30GHz

10. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome. Mine says 1.29.

Is the memory it shows the current memory available or total memory installed on the device?

Thanks a ton

11. cababah macrumors 68000

It shows the total RAM on the device itself regardless of what is available. This number should not change.

Mine says 1016 MB so ~ 1GB. Each person's is a little bit different though for some reason it can fluctuate a little bit...like I said, the GB 2 app isn't perfect; it just gives a basis of comparison.

12. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Darn. I wonder why they allowed the GHz to show instantaneous and the memory not.

Any apps that will show memory?

13. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Steve Jobs said it best.

In essence he said:
    If you have to pay attention or worry about your hardware specs, then your software really sucks. Your hardware should be transparent.

14. cababah macrumors 68000

Because the total amount of RAM you are equipped with is static; it isn't changing. You can fill it up and empty it but at the end, that amount is what allocated for resources.

Your processor varies speed based on load so depending on what you are doing at the time, it will show a different value.

Not the best analogy but I like to think of RAM like your car's gas tank..it can be filled or empty but the amount it can hold never changes.

The processor is like your engine, at different times/loads it will be showing a different speed value.

15. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I Remember on the 3G always used to run out of memory

16. cababah macrumors 68000

You can run out of memory but the amount of memory is fixed. You can use it all up or be close to empty but the amount provided does not change.

The CPU is changing pretty much all the time in speed so you can't say the processor is XXXX MHz. It really is an instantaneous measurement with a lot of the newer technology. I am sure the A6 idles close to 800MHz and tops out at 1.3GHz but is always in between there depending on may factors.