If I have a past due balance, am I totally out of luck?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wishman35, Jun 14, 2010.

1. wishman35 macrumors regular

My families bill is past due, but won't be able to make the payment for a few days. I have tried calling them and to push it back a few days or even just a day! But they will not budge.

Does anyone know if Apple will be doing a reserve system like the iPad where you can reserve it (even with a past due balance) and get the upgrade pricing when I go to pick it up.

With a past due balance, you cannot get the upgrade price and that means tomorrow ordering will show me the $499 no commitment price.

Anyone go through this before and find an easy out or a way to get the due date bumped a bit? Thanks!

2. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

The only way would be to pay the bill. Even after this, there is no guarantee that it will go back right away.

3. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I don't think you have to worry about it if your gonna reserve it. You just need to have it paid up when you go to buy it. My damn girlfriend (primary account holder) didn't pay the bill this month (not really her fault, just a mix up, long story) and when I hit *639# it tells me we are past due, but can have the upgrade price when it's paid up to date (which will be tonight)

4. dwykstra macrumors member

I know this is going to sound like being an ass, but if you can't pay the bill, should you really be getting a new phone?

5. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

As "ass-ish" as it may sound...speaks the truth. Living paycheck to paycheck and sometimes missing bills is not a situation to be buying a $200 phone.

6. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Just because the poster can afford the new phone does not mean he/she pays the bill.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

He said family, and besides, this has nothing to do with the thread.

If you reserve it, you aren't going to have a problem for now.

8. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Yikes. It might be a good idea to stick with your current phone for a while.

9. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

A big question would be if reserving it at that time also locks in the price?

10. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Regardless of who is actually paying the bill, something is financially off there. Maybe if he/she can afford a new $200 phone...he/she SHOULD be paying the bill. Ehh..nevermind, on second thought, lets just encourage everyone to live beyond their means and put as much as they want on credit cards. The government will bail us out of all our troubles anyway, right? :p

11. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

x2

12. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

What? How do you know that the poster does not give his/her share of the bill. Just because he/she is not on an individual account, does not mean anything. The family may be a little behind. This does not make it okay to judge.

13. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

My bill was due Friday, and I paid today (technically past due, so this weekend I was not able to check eligibility). Within minutes of making the payment I checked Apple's "eligibility site" and I was able to take full advantage of the subsidy. Also checked *639# and got the same confirmation.

My advice... the minute the bill is paid, go pre-order.

14. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Exactly. People are so quick to judge these days.

15. coasterswim macrumors 6502

There is a lot of condescending floating around the boards today.

16. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

People are getting impatient waiting to find out when pre-orders are starting :p

17. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Hmm...I won't judge anyone, but sure maybe I'm making assumptions...but then again so are you? Come on though, what's the sense in being on a family plan, paying your share while others are not paying. If someone is paying rent and the landlord is not paying the mortgage...I'm not sticking around. People may get behind once and a while, life happens...but isn't an account overdue only after 31+ days. "Life happens" = great example for having a savings account before buying luxuries (iPhone).

18. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

Nope, even if it's one day late it's considered "past due."

19. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

I imagine, correct me if I am wrong, that the OP is in a situation similar to mine.

That is, cell phone bill is on auto-bill-pay with the bank which seems to like to only cut checks on certain days of the week, and occasionally late just because they feel like it.

It very well may be that the OP can afford it, but, the funds just may have not yet been released to AT&T yet

20. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

I think some might misinterpret judging another person and assuming what is reality. I wouldn't be one to judge another, that comes with consequences. I may sometimes make assumptions (and would stand corrected if necessary), but all I do is make observations and comment upon that.

"How can you point out the speck in your brothers eye, while there is a plank in your own eye..."

21. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

No, I am not making assumptions because I am giving an example of what could be happening. I do not live with them so how would I know what is really going on? The poster said overdue but that does not mean that it is overdue to the point of AT&T's overdue (again judging since no one said this). Who knows? This could be the actual case, but it is mean to put someone down about it.

The rent and mortgage are bad examples because it is not the same situation. An example would be of my mom's account. My brother pays her for his share monthly, but she does not pay the bill right away with it. She sometimes pays in increments because it is an expensive bill and it is easier to deal with like that for her.

22. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Sure about that? There is almost ALWAYS a grace period. There is a difference between past due(after the due date) and past due with restrictions on service/upgrades. I should have clarified my thought.

23. kels0119 macrumors member

kels0119

I am *kind of* in the same situation. My bill is due on the 24th but if I pre-order and ship to house will I be ok and get discounted price (i am due for an upgrade at this time)? My boyfriend (and at this point I use that term lightly) decided to rack up some Int'l text charges and other crap to a 400$ bill. Lucky for him, he was able to talk it down some but not much, so this is coming out of his pocket! He can't pay until like the third of the month but I already have my money invested in to the iphone (meaning i gave my mother the cash so i can put it on her CC, didn't know if they took debit cards for pre-order, had a hassle in store for 3G release). Guess there is only one way to find out, hurry up 24th!! :apple:

24. wishman35 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah seriously guys, lots of judgment being passed along here...

The affordability of the phone is no different than any other smart phone. We can sell our iPhones and pay almost NOTHING to upgrade them to the new phones.

When you have a family of 5 using cell phones and the bill climbs up into the $260-$300 range, and you have a sleuth of other bills to worry about and a sagging car business, sometimes the way you pay off the bill isn't ready until the end of the month.

The due date is going to be moved to the end after this cycle, but as of right now it just can't be payed off this instant. What is so wrong about that?

I was just seeing if there was any alternative. I will just have to pay the balance on my credit card to clear it and have time to pay it off. By the way, i pay all of my credit cards in full each month.. incase anyone wants to start a new line of judgment that I pay the minimum :rolleyes:

25. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

You giving an example of what could be happening....gee that's exactly what I was doing too, just not in such a round-a-bout way. I believe the OP did say that it was past due to the point they could not get the upgrade price tomorrow.

Ummm...rent and mortgage is actually the exact same thing. if three people are renting a house paying $250/month and the home owner is only paying $300 of that $750...the mortgage is still going to be overdue. Either case...it's irresponsible.