If I have an iPhone 4s...is it worth going for the 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EternalStutter, Jul 31, 2013.

1. EternalStutter macrumors newbie

Question in title. Is it really worth the switch?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

At this point, unless you find a really good deal, you're much better off waiting for the "next" phone, which is likely to come out by the end of the year.

(None of us are 100% sure what it'll be.. iPhone 5C? 5S? The rumors are flying like crazy...)

4. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

For me the switch to LTE was enough to justify the upgrade. But at this point, definitely wait the two months and see what Apple has up their sleeve.

5. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

buying a iphone 4s made no sense, you should have waited for the 5 in my opinion, it's an actual upgrade.

6. maxosx macrumors 68020

I'd wait. Being this close to a new release, you may prefer the new model.

7. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Thanks for the laugh. :p

8. Idefix macrumors 6502

Best to wait: even if you don't want the new model, the iPhone 5 will be heavily discounted.

9. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

As said if your 4S is working fine then stick with it until the 5S comes out.

10. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

Just wait it out a month or 2 for the next iPhone.

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I agree with everyone else that at this point you might as well wait since we're pretty close to the new one. And if you don't like the new one, the 5 will be cheaper.

12. Sputnek macrumors regular

I guess another one to reinforce that the 5s will be out in a few months... so probably better to wait. In my opinion though the 4s vs 5, I would keep the 4s. I miss the heaviness of my 4, and the structural feel of the whole device. With the 5, I feel as though I have to be aware of it when I manhandle it because the casing is easy to dent. Internally of course the 5 > 4s, but not by that much.

TL:DR
    4s feels like a solid phone, wait until 5s for upgraded chips.

13. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

That choice is up to you. Much depends on your financial condition. The 4S will do the job just fine if funds are tight. You do not HAVE to have a new phone, but if you want one and can afford it . . . .

Do not look to others to make your choices.

14. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

15. CEmajr macrumors 601

I'd wait for the 5S at this point but yeah the LTE alone made the 5 worth upgrading from the 4S.

16. cynics macrumors G3

Is it? What does it do the 4S can't? It was just another spec bump. I'm waiting for another software upgrade like the 4S was to the 4 like Siri, and now maps with navigation.

17. dvoros macrumors 6502

wait

The iPhone 5 and upcoming 5s are incremental upgrades at best. I would wait until fall 2014 when Apple decides to get their act together and puts out a real NEW phone.

18. Akack macrumors 6502a

Absolutely. Since you waited this long just hold off on the next iPhone releasing this fall if you are buying new, if not just pick up a used iPhone 5 now.

19. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

:) Just the opposite, Not a Cub fan (White Sox;)) and the '5' was a stellar upgrade for me from the '4s'---which my wife loves. In fact, I've found each iteration to be an excellent update...and my wife enjoys the hand me downs...which works out well now that AT&T has gone to the two year update schedule. LTE alone, much faster, display, the new connector is fantastic...it was an easy choice for me and speed-wise (I do a LOT of surfing and use the iPhone for tethering often) with the LTE update, the increase in speed and graphics while secondary is a definite and obvious/evident performance increase in everyday usage. I love the '5' and am excited about this fall's release. I'll buy it...and at dinner the other night, I showed my wife several different examples of her 4s side by side with the 5 the 'differences'. Loading a website, opening the app store, downloading a song from iTunes, and finally we ran the SpeedTest app for real numbers. She was impressed (and typically isn't in technology)...and agreed 'on the spot' to take my 'hand me down' :)

That said, we do agree on the fact the OP should now wait out the 5s/6 or whatever happens this fall. The last couple of iterations of iPhones have had marked increase in performance---in most cases @ least a 100% increase in CPU and GPU performance.

I'll second that 'laugh' of Viper's. The 4s was and IS a huge upgrade from the '4'. Anyone that's owned both knows the truth. The performance, speed, camera....all the way around, while it didn't change from the outside, the guts were completely re-worked and you'll see just HOW big an update it was when iOS7 hits.

OP---No question. The 4s is an excellent phone and while lacking LTE, you've waited this long, another 60-90 days ought not kill ya! Wait it out. You should still be able to sell of your 4s for nearly what you'll pay for the new '5s' or '6' (subsidized) or iPhone X----whatever the name of the new one is. Good Luck

J

20. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I only upgraded to the 5 because my mom is on my plan and needed her iPhone 4 replaced. The only advantage so far has been the LTE speeds.

21. pinholestars macrumors member

pinholestars

I upgraded from a 4s a month ago. I'm having a baby around the same time the 5S comes out, so I won't have any money then. Walmart has it for $129, and I sold my 4s on craigslist for $240. So yay for making money.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPh...gible-Upgrade-or-New-2-Year-Contract/14675762

All in all it's been pretty spectacular. Now when I look at a 4S screen I think....How did I ever deal with that short screen!?

22. tann macrumors 68000

I upgraded in December from a year old 4S, I wasn't originally going to but after having it for the last 8 months I'm glad I did.

The larger screen though only a bit bigger really does make it more pleasant to use, and holding a 4/4S now feels really heavy and thick in hand.

However since the 5S is so close I really would urge you to wait, rumors of a better camera, faster, (possible 32gb standard) and the other things (finger print sensor etc) make me feel like the 5S really will be a more worthwhile upgrade than the 4S>5 was.

Even if you decide the 5S isn't for you, the 5 will drop in price or be found very cheap after a new one is announced/released.

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No... not at this point in time.

24. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

No, a friend of mine is still using his iphone 4s and there isn't such a great difference :)

25. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Only you can answer that. Worth is always highly subjective. The specs and pricing of the 5 are available for you to refer to. Look over them and see if it sounds like it is worth it to you. No one can tell you if it's worth it to you or not.

If it was universally worth it then no one would have a 4s and all the people that currently have a 4s would already have the 5.