If i have dual monitors, can i have dual top bars or put one HD on each screen

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
sorry for the long question, but i just got dual 15", and i am a noob at dual anything, so i have some questions (if you don't have any good advice, don't)

can i have multiple bars on the top?
can i have a dock split between two monitors?
can i have my second HD moved onto the second monitor?
thats about it, thanks in advance

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
What do you mean by a seperate HD on each screen? Like, a high def video, or a Hard drive, or what?

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...the top menu bar will only show on the monitor that you designate it to in the "Displays" system prefs - you go to the arrangement tab and drag the menu bar to the display you want it on. You can only have 1 dock. I assume you mean HD icons when you say HD....you can place your desktop icons anywhere you like, but you may want to check your finder view options to make sure "arrange by.." and "snap to grid" are not checked off....oh yeah!

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
The "main" screen is the one with the menubar. So if you have more than one, then the one with the menu bar is the main screen where an application will come up by default, etc.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Your hard drive is simply a storage device, and you can have as many of those as you like, but you are still only running one instance of the operating system.

Your question sounds like you're thinking of having two instances of the OS running, one in each monitor (2 menu bars, 2 docks); that'd be a "no".

Although you could launch an emulator and have Windows running in a window which you could place on the second screen, if you really wanted.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...the top menu bar will only show on the monitor that you designate it to in the "Displays" system prefs - you go to the arrangement tab and drag the menu bar to the display you want it on. You can only have 1 dock. I assume you mean HD icons when you say HD....you can place your desktop icons anywhere you like, but you may want to check your finder view options to make sure "arrange by.." and "snap to grid" are not checked off....oh yeah!
just be advised that you will have to reset the position every time you restart - when the computer first turns on, the icons all move to their default positions on the main screen.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
baby duck monge said:
just be advised that you will have to reset the position every time you restart - when the computer first turns on, the icons all move to their default positions on the main screen.
Do you mean if you put icons on the 2nd spanned screen, then reboot the computer the icons will go back to the main screen?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I can see the desire for dual menu bars when spanning. It is a pain to have to go back the the "main" screen do use the menu drop downs. Maybe something that they will do in Tabby (10.5 :D )

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
Oh, as far as having to hard drive icons one on each screen, can't you just make a shortcut place it on the other screen and change the icon. I'm not at my mac now so I can't tell if that works.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
CanadaRAM said:
Your question sounds like you're thinking of having two instances of the OS running, one in each monitor (2 menu bars, 2 docks); that'd be a "no".
sound to me like wnameth wants 2 computers, one on each screen! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.