If I Jailbreak 2.2.1 3G iPhone for SlingPlayer, can I revert to 'Official' firmware?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RealEvil, May 15, 2009.

1. RealEvil macrumors 6502

Hi,

Sorry if the answer to this is common knowledge or has been asked 1000 times before but I did a quick search and couldn't find much info.

I have some experience of unlocking my old 1st gen iPhone but now I have a fully legit UK 02 contract and a 3g iPhone. Id like to know if I jailbreak using a tutorial on iClarified will I be able to revert back to a legit copy of the firmware in the future (which will likely be 3.0 but perhaps I will want to go back to 2.2.1 official) without any problems?

So in summary is it easy to 'go back' especially as I wont be unlocking, just Jailbreaking?

Thanks,

Neil

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Simply restoring the iPhone using the ipsw provided by Apple through iTunes will wipe out any jailbreak stuff on the iPhone.

3. Almy macrumors 6502

You may want to be careful of residue. My carrier name change stayed after restoring. And I still have "Find in Page" as a bookmark after restoring, which rocks. But it's something to be aware of in case you need to take it in for something. Just manually change things that last over before restoring if needed.

4. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

If you need to take it in a DFU restore never fails regular left a fifth icon below the regular 4 and several poofed apps hidden! Jailbreaking is relatively safe if you research what you install!

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

"If you need to take it in, do a DFU restore. It never fails. When I did a regular, it left a fifth icon below the regular four and several apps I had hidden with Poof! remained hidden!"

I had the same issue. The numeric battery and carrier logo remained after I had restored. Numeric battery was easy to hide with a simple tap but the logo was stuck. Luckily the genius didn't mind.

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

LMAO thanks for the translation. After I read that I thought to myself WAT?