If i kept simplicity plan & bought iPhone 4G on PAYG would i keep my unlimited data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMoo, Jun 13, 2010.

1. iMoo macrumors regular

iMoo

I was just wondering like others may too;

I have an iPhone 3G and used to pay £35 a month for 600mins, 500txts, unlimited data, MMS messages used to be counted as 4 txts off your allowance.

When my 18 months contract was up i decided to switch to the O2 Simplicity plan. £20 a month for 300mins, unlimited txts, unlimited data but (which i failed to check beforehand,my fault) 20p per MMS.

Now that the iphone 4 is due out on the 24th and the fact that compared to my original £35 plan it has got much worse:-
    300mins (instead of 600)
    Unlimited txts (ok better than 500 but never really went above this)
    500mb data (compared to unlimited this is a shocker)
    20p per MMS (instead of counting as 4 from allowance, some people don't use MMS, i do!)

SO:- I just wondered if i was to sell my 3G iPhone (been offered £250 from a friend) and bought the new iPhone 4 PAYG would i still be able to use my existing simplicity contract to carry on getting the unlimited data?
    Or as it is a 30 day rolling contract would O2 just give 30 days notice to change of terms, knowing that people may opt for the option i am considering?

With the introduction of more data heavy apps, Face Time (which will eventually be 3G too), youtube, catchup tv etc more and more people will need more data. Over the last 2 years i have used an average of 460meg a month, to some this may seem alot but this only consists of looking at Youtube vids with friends at work and checking social networking sites, i wouldn't consider myself an heavy user as at home always use wifi.
    I just think that there is some sort of price fixing going on behind the scenes as all the networks now seem to be offering very similar deals on iPhone contracts and caps on data.
    This is something being discussed by many forums and before i head off in an other direction i will stick to the enitial query of:-

[If i kept my simplicity plan and bought iPhone 4G on PAYG would i keep my unlimited data until i chose to cancel rolling contract??

2. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

this is all in the U.K iphone 4 topic, but i know its annoying to filter through it all so...

i phoned o2 and asked them about this, they told me if you have the 30 day OR 12 month simpicity plan before the 24th, you keep your unlimited data plan. so i went and bought the simplicity 20 sim on a 1 month roling contract.

just hope this is 100% true and they didnt bull **** me,

im just wounering if anyone has one of these sims, how do they get ativated when you get it in the mail.. i dont have an iphone but i bought the iphone simplicity sim for the iphone 4 in advance.

can i activate it in my normal phone, then put it in my iphone4 when i get it?
    does it come activated and i just have to make a call from it to activate it, or do i need to borrow a friends iphone to activate the sim ?

can anyone answer this ?

3. macdoc2012 macrumors member

4. JadedBen macrumors regular

I'm thinking they wont change it if you've already had the iPhone simplicity tariff a while now.

I used to have the £15pm "simplicity" one to start with but then bumped it to the £20 so i could have the unlimited data bolt on.

Late last year they re-changed/ named it to the "iPhone Simplicity" but still got the same deal for £20.

At the start of this year (i've lost track of dates) they changed it again, so you had different mins/ txts etc. I can't remember what the exact numbers were, but the big change that affected me at the time was the travellers part, where txts from abroad were not included in your allowance, which when i was using nearly all my 1200 txts, would have cost me alot.

So i phoned O2 asking if they would be changing it automatically. They said no, they'd only change it if i stated i wanted it changed.

So i'm hoping, by that logic, that it wont change unless you ask them. But then, who knows but O2!?

5. iMoo thread starter macrumors regular

iMoo

Ah sorry, just become a member so finding my way around the site.
    Hopefully if i were to ask for a micro sim they wouldn't give me the bull of saying that i would have to resign up to the simplicity plan so therfore forcing me to change my terms and conditions and ending up with the 500mb cap.
    If so then i may have to consider what others have suggested and try to cut the sim card to size, i'm pretty sure O2 and others will try their best to get everyone on capped tarrifs as they know that currently some may not be worried about caps as they dont currently reach them, but believe me if Face Time becomes the standar cross-platform like apple wants and with more data intensive apps, 500meg is going to be a very low limit indeed.
    I understand that they need to do something to combat the Jail breaking/tethering/constant streaming of music and/or video, but this low cap now is intended for one purpose only.....to use the iPhone 4 as a carrot to lock people into lenghty contracts, knowing full well eventually the cap is going to be gone over by many in the future....damn greed!!

Yeah here's hoping mate, but got a sneaky feeling they prob won't change it till October and then claim that the 30 day rolling contract is both ways thus giving us 30 days notice that caps will be in place come Oct/Nov time as they will know most of us by then will have the iPhone 4 on contract or gone out to avoid this by paying steep costs PAYG.
    I think for alot of people who think into the overall cost of products this has very mutch dampened the overall experiance of looking forward to an upgrade and also having to worry about watching what data we have used is a real issue if we are to use the phone for what it was intended to be for.
    1-2GB would have been much easier to swallow by claiming they were trying to stop people overusing the service and spoiling for otheres. 500meg is just taking advantage of the customer base to maximise profits, shame on you O2:rolleyes:

6. Jason-Houghton macrumors regular

Jason-Houghton

I checked with o2, if you buy the simplicity before 24th you will keep unlimited data for as long as you keep the contract going, even after the 12 months. I also asked about the micro sim. They said when i buy it on PAYG they will just transfer my account over to a micro sim, not make me sign a new contract. You can always just cut ur sim down to fit.

7. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

only thing that worries me although i was told it would be fine to keep the unlimited data plan is, with the 1 month simplicity your contract has to be renew'd every 30 days, could that be a loop hole for o2 to say your renewng a contract so you have your data capped ? im so confused.

8. Jason-Houghton macrumors regular

Jason-Houghton

read this: http://news.o2.co.uk/Press-Releases/O2-introduces-new-mobile-data-pricing-model-2a3.aspx

"Existing customers will continue under their present terms, unlimited data usage with an Excessive Use Policy."

It doest matter if its 30 day or 12 months, as long as you keep it going you will still get unlimited data.

9. iMoo thread starter macrumors regular

iMoo

Wonder if the insurance carries over or how i would go about this. Currently i pay £6 a month to insure my 3G whereas my friends some who have 3GS pay around £12 a month.
    Obviously if i forked out around £550 for a PAYG mobile (guestamate) i would want insurance. Can you insure your PAYG phone the same way as you would a contract phone?
    I'm guessing it will cost me more than £6 a month for to insure the iPhone 4 either way. Just would be mortified if i was to drop or loose it after a few months (something i have never done upto now...touch wood)

10. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

if your with natwest as your bank, for £6.95 ? they offer full mobile phone insurance, check it out .

11. iMoo thread starter macrumors regular

iMoo

Santandar so will have to ask them if they do it, i know Abbey didnt so maqy be same will find out. If it was higher cap wouldn't be an issue, just a shame i have to worry and mess around working out best option.

12. iMoo thread starter macrumors regular

iMoo