If I log into Wifi at my house does it use up my per month data mb's?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hockeyhero6, Dec 7, 2008.

1. hockeyhero6 macrumors newbie

Just wondering if it uses up part of my Data mb's when i connect to the internet at my house through my wireless connection. I have 500MB of data per month, a would also like to know if that is a lot or if i might need more.

2. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

No, that uses your ISP's data limit, not the mobile carrier's,

3. Aznsensation45 macrumors regular

nope. it uses ur home internet, not the carrier's services.

4. milani macrumors 68000

milani

No it won't be considered as using your data, although it will show up as data usage in your phone's settings just the same as if you were on the cellular network. As far as needed 500MB a month, it all depends on what you're doing. If you're an average iPhone user (you read your email, you surf the net a bit), then 500MB a month would probably be enough (assuming you were exclusively on cellular, which it sounds like you're not, so your cellular usage will probably be even less).

5. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Data over a wifi network doest count towards the iPhone's data counter. In fact, it's called "CELLULAR data usage"

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

it shows as data usage on the phone but it wont count against your carrier's data plan as you arent using their networks when on wifi

7. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Yeah. Although I am sure they would love to try :) They really can't charge you for data carried over another company's infrastructure.

8. Kyeris macrumors 6502

No it doesn't. Reset your data usage, go on wifi, and watch a youtube video. Check your data usage. Then turn off wifi and watch the same youtube video, pretty straight forward.

9. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

No, it doesn't. Check the Usage section. It clearly shows "CELLULAR data". Not Data. Cellular means GPRS/EDGE/3G, not wifi.

download a ton of podcasts over wifi and check usage to realise the data counter doesn't increase at all.

10. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Calm down. The rest of what I said is still completely relevant to the OP's question.

11. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

It certainly was and I'm sorry if you thought I was somehow attacking you on your comment.

I just wanted to make it clear for the OP and any other reader for that matter that data over wifi does not count towards the data usage counter.

It's easy to get sidetracked on forums and just because I commented negatively on one part of your message it doesn't mean I don't agree on the rest

:)

12. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Nah it's cool, an overreaction on my part. To be honest, I thought that it did count Wi-Fi in the figure, but since you point out the obvious title I'm not sure why I thought that at all! :p Oh well, I guess we've all pretty much definitively answered the OP's question!

13. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Haha, tell that to verizon! That's why I left them a couple of years ago. Ended up with a $600 bill... Un-frickin-balievable. :rolleyes:

Glad its not that way with the iPhone. That would totally suck.