iPhone If I make the hold switch a rotation lock, how do I mute the phone?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by wildonrio, Jun 13, 2015.

1. wildonrio macrumors 6502

I switched my hold switch so it is a rotation lock. Now I'm going to meetings and I want to be able to semi-quickly mute my phone. How?

I noticed they remove the rotation lock button in control center when you use the hold switch rotation lock. They should instead add a "Mute All" switch to control center where the Rotation Lock switch was.

2. !!! macrumors 6502

When they removed the mute/rotation lock switch from the iPad Air 2, the control center had the "Mute All" buttom

3. wildonrio thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah I bet they do that for the iPhone too; they just haven't made the icon yet it seems.

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Does the iPhone let you lock the rotation in landscape now you can use the switch, or is it still limited to portrait? I still find it silly that they limit landscape orientation locking to iPad.

5. wildonrio thread starter macrumors 6502

Still just portrait lock.

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

That's a bit disappointing. I wonder what their rationale is behind that decision.

7. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Simply because currently too many apps are suitable for running in portrait mode.
    After iPhone 6 Plus, after two or three generations of iPhone with the same or similar size of screen than iPhone 6 Plus, you can expect more apps running in landscape mode as well.

8. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Most likely because there's not that many landscape apps on iPhone.

Also, this is just a personal preference, but I think using the 5/5C and 6 in landscape mode is a pain (since they're so 16:9-ish) Though on the 4S and 6+ it's more enjoyable.

9. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

But 1920*1080 is also a 16:9 resolution, right?
    Why you say it is more enjoyable?

10. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I would much rather prefer a 16:9 resolution over a 3:2 on the 4s. 16:9 is far more common. No more letterboxing of videos..

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Maybe because the screen is much bigger, so it's wide enough even at 16:9? Just guessing.

I found using the 5 in landscape mode a bit tricky as the screen was so thin width-ways, but I love using landscape on my 6 Plus.

12. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The 5/C and 6 literally feel like I'm holding an elongated bar. At least on the 6+ the screen is big enough that it doesn't feel that way.

It's not the resolution, it's the physical dimensions of the device.

13. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Ah, clear.
    That is. Although, uh, in my view, physical size is not a serious issue for me, except it is so horrible.