If I Miss Out On iPhone 5 This Friday...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mojo pin, Sep 17, 2012.

1. mojo pin macrumors regular

mojo pin

...does anyone know about how long I can expect to wait for a new shipment to come in? I didn't pre-order and will be going to my Verizon store to hopefully get one Friday morning. I'm just wondering about what kind of wait time I should expect if I miss out, on average.

2. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

3. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Hmm is you queue up everyday at the apple store it could take 2-3 days, they usually get shipments everyday after launch. For carrier stores it is less frequent.

4. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Some carrier stores even may get more phones later in the day. This was the case for 3Gs launch at a local AT&T here in Miami. These extra phones helped avert a freaking riot from people who waited in line for several hours and were told, "no more phones".

5. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

I would contact your carrier store before making the choice to line up there, mostly because I was told by my local Verizon that they may not even have the iPhone 5 in stock, or they may only have very limited capacities or colors.

6. mojo pin thread starter macrumors regular

mojo pin

I do have a friend who works at Verizon and have been asking if they've been notified of not getting any in stock or there not being very many. He said they haven't been told anything like that (yet). So I will definitely keep checking up on that!

7. dwburnell macrumors regular

I preordered mine at wal-mart yesterday for pickup on Friday. I was only 1 of 4 people signed up. So if you don't want to wait in line that is my recommendation.

8. mojo pin thread starter macrumors regular

mojo pin

I've actually been considering doing that. I've been reading on the forum that it's also cheaper to do it that way... I think I'll call my Wal Mart now and ask if I can do it.

If I may ask a dumb question, how does that work then if you get your phone from Wal Mart but you have problems with it? Can you take it into your regular Verizon store, or do you have to deal with it through Wal Mart?

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Get up early and hit up the places where most shoppers wont be.

Start at the Radio Shacks and Walmarts.

Walmart might even pop at midnight on the 21st.

10. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

just check all local stores, if there is a small town near by drive to it. radio shack, walmart, HEB (in south texas), bestbuys will be a little harder.

in austin heb, and radioshack had many surplus

11. mojo pin thread starter macrumors regular

mojo pin

I'll check both places! Thanks for the suggestion.

12. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

If you have a local apple store they will probably do nightly reservations like with the 4S and new iPad. I think it was 9pm the night before and you could order for pickup the next day.

The apple store is also the place to go for warranty issues if you have one locally.

13. mojo pin thread starter macrumors regular

mojo pin

----------

[/COLOR]
    Unfortunately I don't. :( I live in a smaller area in the midwest. No Apple store here.

----------

I just thought of another question - I'll be adding a line to my Verizon plan in order to get the phone. So would I even still be able to get it from stores like that? Can they add the line for me?

14. jetlagged macrumors 6502

i'm going to line up at my local apple store this friday morning. get there at 6 am, and hopefully come away with one. and if i dont get one, i'll go visit once a week until i get one.

i have a few questions i would like to ask:

1) I live in california. i know i have to pay taxes when i buy at the retail store, but do i have to pay taxes if i buy it online such as apple store or verizon?

2) more than likely will buy at the apple store at full price so i can keep my unlimited data plan. if i buy it full price, will it come with the nano sim card for LTE?

3) if i buy it full price, how do i go about activating the new iPhone 5 to keep my unlimited data?

15. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

ah okay. Unsure if other stores can add line's for you. Thru apple.com you can add lines and such.

might be worth swinging by the store the night before to make sure a line isnt already forming.

I believe you will have to pay tax's regardless of where you purchase. Amazon now charges tax in cali as well.

it will come with a nano sim regardless

unsure of this process. With att when you order thru apple.com you have the choice to keep your unlimited plan or switch to a new one. Maybe somebody that already ordered with verizon can chime in on whether its the same

16. mojo pin thread starter macrumors regular

mojo pin

Just a quick update... I called my Wal Mart store and the guy said they are taking pre-orders just as everyone has described. I asked him if he knows how many phones they'll be getting and he said no. He said when you pre-order, you of course specify which color you want. Then when the phones come in, they'll call the top people on the list that wanted those specific colors and they get them. So, definitely no guarantees there. He also said (which I've now read mentioned in other threads) that they only carry the 16GB model and I'm wanting the 32. He did say however that they can add a line there at the store.

I haven't called Radio Shack yet but I expect I'll get about the same answer - no guarantee of a phone. I'm going to call anyway though because as others have mentioned, it might be worth going into the store to see if they have any on Friday if I'm not able to get one from Verizon.