If I move 2 of my 3 lines to Verizon what happens to the one left behind?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wolfpackfan, Jan 26, 2011.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Okay, I have a 3 line family plan on AT&T with 2 iPhones and 1 dumb phone for our son. My wife's iPhone and the dumb phone are out of contract. I just bought a new iPhone 4 about 8 months ago. I'm thinking of moving my wife and son to Verizon an getting my wife an iPhone 4 and son another dumb phone. BUT I will have to stay with AT&T for a while longer before the ETF comes down to a level, I'm willing to pay (right now it's at $245). We have a family plan on AT&T right now. When I drop the other two lines, does my current plan automatically get changed to just an individual plan? This doesn't in any way extend my contract does it? We want to move to Verizon as fast as we can as our AT&T service is absolutely terrible and we've missed several very important phone calls because of it.

2. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

Why not just call AT&T and ask them?

3. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

This is what I would do:

1. All of you move over to Verizon at the same time and the get the phones you want. Port your numbers over and this will automatically cancel all 3 of your lines on AT&T.

2. Sell your AT&T iPhone 4 and use that money to pay the ETF and probably much of the cost of your new iPhone on Verizon.

In this way, you'll all have the same contract terms on Verizon and can upgrade together. And you'll be able to leave AT&T in the dust and still make out okay. If you are familiar with Jailbreaking, you can get even more out of your phone when you sell it. If you want to take the easy route (but less in return), you could always use Gazelle.com and get at least the cost of your ETF back.

PS - As far as I know, yes, you'll automatically get changed over to an individual plan with no change in your current contract. Each line is on its own contract, but the only thing you have to keep is your data plan and a minimum voice plan. But yeah, you should call to make sure!

4. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

Hum. I hadn't thought about doing that. Thanks for the suggestion. That way both my wife and myself will get the unlimited data plan before it goes away.

5. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

On the other hand, if you stick with your current contract on AT&T, you could wait to get your line on Verizon until this summer when the newer iPhone 4S/5 comes out. Of course, we really don't know if Verizon will be getting it right away or not, but if you're the type of person that wants the latest/greatest, then that might be the better option.

But if you're willing to stick with the iPhone 4 on Verizon without regret, then I'd stick with the original plan I offered. ;)

6. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

Well the advantage to doing it sooner than later is to get the initial unlimited data plan for both iPhones. Wife will be happy with any new iPhone as she is still on just an iPhone 3G. I'd like to get the new one when it comes out but I'm very skeptical that it will be released on Verizon at the same time it comes out on AT&T. I will probably just do as you suggested and go ahead and convert us all over and then sell my current 4 in hopes of getting enough to pay the ETF and a good part of my new 4. Another big advantage for me going ahead and converting is I want to get the HotSpot tethering to use with my iPad.