If I own an iPhone 4, I then own an iPod Touch right?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amazingdm, Jul 21, 2010.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

As in, is there something I am missing by not having a touch

2. wickywahwah macrumors regular

phew! i thought this was going to be some smartass comment about the antenna

3. kuaiyouming, Jul 21, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  4. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

nay.

an iphone is the touch with a phone built in.:D

5. Philalbe macrumors 6502

And a juicy camera :)

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's the best and fastest iOS 4 product out there at this point in time so no, there's no point owning an iPod touch.

Unless you want an iPod touch. Then by all means go ahead.

7. barryl85 macrumors regular

Once you get a taste of the screen resolution on the iphone 4 you wouldnt go near an ipod touch !

8. Reddkryten macrumors 6502

Unless the iPod Touch gets a retina display during the next refresh?

9. barryl85 macrumors regular

Yeah i guess but my statement still stands until that happens.

My iPod touch is in the cupboard somewhere !

10. Reddkryten macrumors 6502

Oh absolutely, I just mean it's not a fair comparison to make, pitting last year's Touch against this year's phone. Let's see what the refresh brings.

11. Angel baby macrumors member

Angel baby

If you already have a iphone, i think there's no need to keep a itouch as well. Personally, my itouch was used seldom. iPhone combines all features of itouch.

12. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

an iPod touch will never exceed the current gen iPhone hardware-wise, ... ever.

13. Reddkryten macrumors 6502

I could be wrong, but hasn't the touch usually been ahead of the phone when looking at CPU specs?

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

You mean the storage space?

15. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Storage space and, at some times, CPU speed.

The first generation iPhone originally had a 620 MHz CPU underclocked to 400 MHz; the first generation iPod touch also originally had the same CPU with the same underclocking. Firmware version 1.1.2 increased them to 412 MHz.

The 2nd generation iPhone (iPhone 3G) used the same class of CPU and the same degree of underclocking as the updated firmware on the original iPhone -- 412 MHz; the 2nd generation iPod touch, released some months later, also used the same CPU but at a higher clock speed -- 532 MHz -- thus placing the iPod touch at an advantage over the like-generation iPhone. This is an anomaly in the history of comparative specs of the iPhone and iPod touch.

In both the 1st and 2nd generation iPhone and iPod touch, they always had essentially the same GPU capability.

With the respective releases of the 3rd generation iPhone (iPhone 3GS) and iPod touch, the two systems had identical CPU and GPU capabilities.

It is reasonable to assume the same will be true of the 4th generation iPod touch when it arrives -- having equivalent CPU capabilities as the iPhone 4.

16. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

the iphone is likely underclocked more to save that battery power the 3g connectivity is using that the ipod touch doesn't have