If i pay in cash do i need to be 18 to buy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RKilbane20, Jun 12, 2009.

1. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

Im turning 18 in 2 months and want to know if i can still buy it by myself. I bought the 2G iphone in cash with my dad and they didnt say anything. THe account is under my moms name and SS# would she have to be there? Only wondering because my iPhone box says 18 and credit check required. Or is that if you are paying with a credit card?

2. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

You have to be 18-years old and an authorized user on the account in order to buy any new phone or many any changes to the contract, or else your mom would have to be there to give them the information.

3. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Just have the main account holder make you an authorized user on the account and you will be fine, I bought thr 3G last year being 17 with no problem. I even called the store prior to going to check and they said as long as your authorized on the account you'll be fine.

4. itsmequinn macrumors regular

And unless things have changed since the last two iphones, you can't pay in cash. Although if they are a super nice apple worker, they will let you buy a gift card with your cash and use that. But still, you're up the creek if you're not 18.

5. RKilbane20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wow gay! Yes i did pay in cash and att for the 2G iphone. Ill figure something out. My brother bought his iPhone when he was 17 in cash on 2g launch day. Ill call around and see.

6. bjquach macrumors 6502

yeah you would need to use a credit/debit card for the iphone purchases now

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I expected it but i'm still kinda surprised that they don't accept cash since it was just a deterrent from the 1st gen unlocking scene. Oh well. As said before debit or credit only.

The credit check is only if you are instating a new line by yourself. Being only 17 I assume you'd have no credit (which is better than bad credit!) but you would more than likely be smacked with a $500 initial deposit. You can't be pimpin' an iPhone without a debit card or atleast a bank account. That's just weird :D

8. RKilbane20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a bank account and a atm card but never use it because I lost the PIN and have yet to ask them to send me a new one. I wount be rolling with 500 dollars, just 214.96.