If I quit, can I remote-wipe my personal info off my Mac at work?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JuryDuty, Oct 1, 2015.

1. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

I switched to Mac less than a year ago and love it--have it at home, have it at work.

But one thing I've done is keep my work and personal calendars, mail, etc, separate. Work is at work, unconnected from iCloud, etc. The only place where they come together is on my iPad and my home computer.

But as I learn more about icloud and the power of the Mac ecosystem, I wonder if I'm shortchanging myself by not having everything sync together.

The reason I haven't done this is because while work is great, I always want to prevent a situation where one day I leave and all my personal accounts are accessible on a computer I don't have access to any longer.

So...is it possible to remote-wipe my personal info off my Mac at work if I quit by disconnecting iCloud or something? How does that work?

What do you do?

2. JuryDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I suggest checking with your IT and legal departments at work. Some businesses require holding a computer with the data intact for a period of time after an employee's departure. Part of your employment contract may be those stipulations so be careful with the wipe idea.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I would agree with hallux in checking with the IT department because if your work uses a Domain most of your info resides on the Domain server!

If your account is on just the local Mac then just ask the IT to delete your account!

5. kildjean macrumors regular

kildjean

Actually, for Enterprise and such, because it's THEIR computer it's technically THEIR information. You shouldn't be using personal stuff on your work laptop. If one of our users did that to us, the company would literally charge them with endangerment of company property and sue their asses off...

So like other people advised, talk to IT... unless you are just being a S*** and you are a disgruntled employee.