if i restore my phone using 3.1.3 ipsw will that brick my unlocked iphone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by poohbear19, Dec 17, 2010.

1. poohbear19 macrumors regular

poohbear19

this is going to be my first time trying to restore an unlocked iphone (unlocked by cousin that lives far away now) and just making sure will this brick my iphone?

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Brick-to render useless permanently. You can not brick your phone unless you drown it in the Pacific Ocean or drop it off the Sears Tower.
    You can not brick a phone via software.

3. poohbear19 thread starter macrumors regular

poohbear19

oh really i thought people could brick it if they updated an unlocked phone or canceled during restore?

4. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

You are using term incorrectly. Brick means the phone no longer functions, turn on/off, can't restore and so on. What can happen is your phone is stuck in recovery or DFU mode if something goes wrong during a restore / update. If that's the case, just restore again.

Now, when it comes to a software unlock, you will loose it once you do restore or update. Thus, it's very important hat if you want to update there is a way for you to unlock the phone after updating it. What iPhone do you have? What are the current firmware and baseband?

5. poohbear19, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

poohbear19 thread starter macrumors regular

poohbear19

Ohh ok lmao. Thank u.I have the I phone 3G 8gig baseband 5.12.01 and guess what I finally updated to 4.2.1 and it works just fine!!! My battery is way better now than when I had 3.1.3. Now if I could just get the unlock to work I think I might need to update my baseband cuz I just found out I used an ipsw that changed my baseband to 5.15.04 it was from that Sam bingner website. ANd I can't downgrade my baseband can I lol. O well i could try the 06.15.00, I don't need a gps anyways :pp but on iTunes it said to come back on dec. 22 does that mean they are going to come up with the new version??

6. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

If you needed to unlock the phone, you shouldn't have updated to 4.2.1 with the official firmware through itunes. Doing that also updates to 5.15 baseband which is currently not able to software unlock. Instead, you should have used a custom firmware file and kept the unlockable 5.12 baseband.

You have 3 options for unlocking:

1) Wait for future 5.15 baseband unlock. No ETA when it will be available.
    2) If you have one of first few 3G iphones with 5.08 bootloader, you can downgrade the baseband using Fuzzyband to an unlockable one. Download and run F0rcast to see: http://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/products/view/f0recast.snow
    3) Use the hack 6.15 Ipad baseband on your iphone. Their are issues involve in going this route. You should read up on it before deciding to do it or not: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

7. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Since you rely on an unlock for your phone, you will most likely never update through itunes, "casually at least". Basically, stay far away from itunes as much as you can:p

8. poohbear19, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

poohbear19 thread starter macrumors regular

poohbear19

I actually used an ipsw file from here http://www.maggadget.com/guide-how-...-1-on-iphone-3g-and-iphone-3gs-using-redsn0w/ if i remember right, and i thought it was custom ipsw file because i thought websites can only provide that only. I didn't know they would give out the real 4.2.1 files.

I think i will just go ahead with the 6.15.00 unlock and download SAM on the way so i can fix my push! i really appreciate your answers thank you very much !!

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

As you found out, web sites also offer stock firmware too; iclarified is an example of that. They do this because it's not always easy to get the ipsw from Apple.
    Now that you know, be careful when you d/l an ipsw from now on.

10. noiceT macrumors 6502a

I would make sure you have an at&t sim or other supported provider sim that you can activate with when you do the unlock. You don't want to hackivate, as there are a lot more bigger problems that can arise besides losing gps; battery drain is probably the worst.

11. poohbear19 thread starter macrumors regular

poohbear19

lol thanks

12. poohbear19 thread starter macrumors regular

poohbear19

well i used an unactivated at&t sim card to enter the phone and used sam from cydia to activate it and it's supposed to fix battery problems and i had to update to 6.15.00 because i had no choice. but everything is working out fine!! my gps is just off by several houses which is cool because i thought it would be more drastic than that. but my battery is better than when i had 3.1.3 and hactivated it. i am glad i did this method!