If I sell my 8gb phone to a friend...and buy the 16...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RickT67, Feb 5, 2008.

1. RickT67 macrumors member

Could I just switch the sim cards? In effect having him activate with my "old" phone? Just curious... I've had my iPhone for a month, and now I am getting a little greedy for more memory! :)

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That's how they handle iPhone replacements, so I'm sure it'd work fine that way.

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I just did this a few days ago... I upgraded from 4GB to 8GB (go figure, right?). I took the new SIM card out of the 8GB and replaced it with my old one from the 4GB iPhone. However, you still need to Activate it via iTunes.

I thought I would have been charged the activation fee again, but I was not and my contract did not extend. So yes, this is totally possible.

4. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

so you were able to activate but didnt have to pay anything by just swapping the sim card into the new phone

5. RickT67 thread starter macrumors member

Great! Thanks for the response. :)

I guess we should prepare for 32gb iPhone because I will upgrade to the 16! LOL (Murphy's Law).

6. 0B1 macrumors member

from o2

just posted in another thread...

Just a wee update, My operations manager is looking into the issue for me,

Here is the info I’ve been given.

Questions you might get asked by customers…

I already have an 8GB iPhone and want the 16GB version – does this affect my contract?

No, your contract will stay the same, all you need to do is transfer your SIM as detailed on our website

Can I give my 8GB iPhone to someone else?

Yes – and they can buy a SIM from any O2 retail store for just £4.99. They will then follow the full activation process, creating their own 18 month contract and account with O2

Can I upgrade my 8GB iPhone to a 16GB iPhone without having to purchase it?

Sorry, no, we are currently not offering this option.

I bought an 8GB handset in January– can I swap this for a new one?

Customers who have purchased an 8GB device within the last 14 days can return them in line with standard O2 / Apple returns policy.

Please note – customers who purchased through The Carphone Warehouse can only return their iPhone within seven days of purchase, and only if the device has not been activated (unless the customer is declined and they have proof of this)

Hope this clears it up. More info available at www.o2.co.uk

Thanks

Neil Dunlop

7. rayward macrumors 65816

I know that this may just be customer service speak for a simple "no", but it intimates that this may be an option in the future.

Anyone have any idea as to how easy it would be for the store techs to whip out the 8gig and slap in a 16gig? Seems like it might be a little complicated.

8. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Thats right, I had to activate but did not have to re-pay the activation fee.

On another note, I would call At&t and have them reverse the charge if I in fact did get charged. They did it before when I dropped my iPhone like the first day I had it and needed to get a new SIM card. After putting the new SIM card in, I needed to Activate the phone again -- just like this past weekend.