If I set up as new phone. Wouldn't I lose everything including contacts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Sep 12, 2008.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

some people on here restored and then set up as new phone but wouldn't that delete my contacts and pictures? Why are some of u not starting phone up from back up after u upgrade. Ur back up has nothing to do with software bugs. I think it's all in u guys heads no?

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

If you have your contacts in your computer, you can just sync again. ;)

I've never performed a restore or set up as a new phone (since I bought it), but if I did, I would only lose my texts and app info, not contacts, photos, or calendar info, since I use iPhoto, iCal and Address Book.

And just because you haven't experienced the problems doesn't mean that others aren't. I haven't experienced those ridiculously long backups, but I doubt they're all in people's heads. :confused:

3. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm not talking about long back ups. I mean some people on here say they set up as new phone so bugs from their other firmware don't stay with them but I think just upgrading it is the same. I just don't think not using a back up makes it better it's all same either way I think

4. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i can't quite understand what you're trying to say, but if you do a back up right before you restore, and then restore from that back up, you get everything back, texts and stuff included.

and when i takes over 2 hours for my phone to back up, i think it's a pretty safe bet that it's not all in my head.....

5. MJFlash macrumors member

Hi, Michael31986,

Yes, setting your device up as a new phone can solve many problems, and no, the problem with backups that have been reported here are not in our heads. The results are quite clear. Many folks have reported that their backup files have been reported directly by iTunes as being corrupt. The reason is that bugs in the V2.0 iPhone have occasionally corrupted the data on the phone, and once that data is backed up, the errors are copied into your backup file. For folks who then perform an update procedure instead of a clean restore, those errors can be copied right back onto the device. This can lead to a wide variety of different problems, including the infamous "Apple Logo of Death", application update errors being reported, application hangs or crashes, etc. No B.S., I've experienced all of these personally, and repeatedly (we run 90-100 applications on our four iPhones here).

When you've got a corrupted backup file, iTunes itself will often tell you (as many folks have reported here). When that happens, restoring from backup isn't possible at all. Unfortunately, iTunes can't detect all of the kinds of corruption that may be present. When that happens, iTunes will merrily copy the crap thats in your backup file back onto the phone, and you'll start seeing weird bugs that can drive you nuts. Fortunately, sync is a far better means of dealing with corrupted data, so that you can nearly always sync content back onto your device even once the backup file is corrupted (to make a long story short, the sync process helps to keep the global files intact, even if individual data items are somehow corrupted).

As long as you've been syncing your phone with iTunes before you want to upgrade to a new release (and you've synced the right things such as your contacts, mail, etc), your PC/Mac will contain most of what you'll need if you choose to start clean with a device restore - even a DFU restore, which is a pretty-much guaranteed way of getting you out of any software problem than can occur.

So the question is, what do you lose by following a DFU restore, setting up your phone as a new device, and then syncing? For one, just about any data corruption which may have occurred on your iPhone! Practically, you'll have to re-enter your basic iPhone settings, and your application settings. You'll lose the 3rd-party application data like game high scores or logins, and you'll lose your SMS messages. You won't lose your email configurations, your contacts, your photos, your music and videos, or your 3rd-party applications. Again, you do need to ensure that you sync your device before performing a DFU restore, but that's not exactly a painful procedure (on version 2.0, you can skip the painfully slow backup, and on V2.1, the backup's very fast).

What really surprises me are the literally thousands of posts here made by folks who invest huge amounts of time chasing these kinds of bugs, when the solution is so simple! It takes me about 15 minutes of work to perform a DFU restore and to reconfigure my device settings the way I like them. Sure, that's with some practice, but it's typically less effort than many folks put in here just to post about their problems! Once that reconfiguration is complete, you just sync and everything else will be copied onto your iPhone.

If your iPhone is crashing, hanging, generating errors on application updates, or especially if you're seeing the "Apple Logo of Death", performing a DFU restore, setting up your phone as a new device, and then syncing content back to your phone will do more to get you back to a stable phone than anything else you can do. Just be prepared by regularly syncing your phone, so that the data that counts is ready for you!

Cheers!
    Mark

6. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

So... doing a Restore without setting up as a new iPhone is just as useless as updating without restoring? If that's true, it's preposterous. What you're saying is that iPhone users should accept losing all their SMS messages and application data on a regular basis, with no chance of retrieval, or put up with problems that live on from update to update?

7. MJFlash macrumors member

Hi, Anuba,

Hmm, interesting attitude. I've simply explained that there's a simple solution for the problems mentioned in many, many posts on this forum. It does have the downside of losing application data and SMS messages, but it works. You may feel that this was somehow a hostile act on my part, but for those who've spent days or weeks beating their heads against the wall regarding those problems, this may be viewed as a welcome relief.

Regards,
    Mark

P.S. Nothing new here, I'm just repeating techniques developed by others, on which I have a lot of experience.

8. MJFlash macrumors member

By the way, I'm not trying to tell folks not to use backups, or that this solution must be followed repeatedly. This recommendation is to specifically work-around the bugs, and the known corrupted backup problems that can occur with V2.0 iPhones, in the context of transitioning to V2.1.

9. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

No, it has nothing to do with you personally.

What I said was that if it's indeed true that iPhone users have to accept losing all their SMS and application data periodically in order to enjoy the full benefits of any given firmware update, then iPhone is one seriously flawed product. That's a criticism against Apple, not against you.

One of the classic anti-Windows points that Apple fans have always made is that unlike MacOS (the system that "just works"), Windows deteriorates over time and needs a "winema", i.e. a full reinstall of the OS, from time to time. But then when you switch over to Apple's products, you discover that the answer to all problems is "Archive/Reinstall" (OS X) and "DFU Restore" (iPhone). There's irony for ya.

10. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

That makes me a saaaad panda... er, human...

11. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

So should I restore and install 2.1 again. I don't have any bugs that I know of but maybes restore and installing 2.1 I can get even better 3g even though I get enough 3g in some areas just some have dead
    Zones. Idk I have always just upgraded and had no problem.

I never got a message about files being corrupt but you guys make me nervous.

12. MJFlash macrumors member

Hi, Michael,

For most folks, no, I'm not trying to push them down the DFU restore route. Please consider the context of your question (e.g. "I think its all in u guys heads, no"), when you gauge my response.

The key bug at stake here with the V2.0 firmware, as far as I've been able to tell, is triggered by loading up lots of 3rd-party applications. Moreover, it almost seems statistical in nature, in the sense that some folks with a few 3rd-party apps see it, while the more you add, the more likely it is that you'll reach the point of having corruption occur. Note that I believe that this isn't triggered by the 3rd party application code itself, but by Apple's code for handling lots of 3rd-party applications. The fact that they've explicitly acknowledged this bug in the V2.1 release supports those of us who've been chasing this for some time.

Particularly if you've already made the transition and things are working well, I wouldn't bother. I would, however, recommend keeping your sync settings turned on. Just in case you run into a serious problem, you'll know the way out.

Cheers!
    Mark

13. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

how can i sync contacts to my computer/itunes now that they are on my iphone?

14. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

?

i still see no bugs, but you guys make me worried by saying its better to set up as new. I never got a message saying my back up was corrupt like some of you have. so i think im ok no?