If I set up as new?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noobinator, Sep 18, 2012.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

The whole set up as new vs restoring thing really confuses me for some reason. If I "set up as new" what will I have to do manually? Re-add all contacts, apps, music etc...? I'd like to set up as new to start fresh but I don't want to have to manually add contacts and re-arrange apps and all that. What are the steps you all do when setting up as new? I don't need saved texts or game data or any of that.

2. pbrooks macrumors regular

pbrooks

If you choose to set up as new, you will get an activated iPhone 5 with all core iOS apps. Then, when you enable your iCloud account, you will retrieve all you contact, calendar, notes, bookmarks, etc, from the cloud.

You can then use iTune to determine which apps, music, and photos you'd like to selectively sync to your phone. Alternately, you can go to the App store on your phone and selectively download apps from your purchase history, go to the Music app and download music from iTune match. You will lose whatever org scheme you had going for your apps and homescreens. You'd have to manually rearrange apps into folders.

3. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

So if i re-add an app via itunes will the saved data be imported from the cloud? I thought I saw something on iCloud about saving stored app data.