if i un fuse the fusion drive is the SSD part fast as normal SSD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 2bcool2, Dec 21, 2012.

1. 2bcool2 macrumors regular

forgive my crappy title,

what i want to know is, if i unfuse a 1tb fusion drive on my new 2012 iMac, is the ssd part the same as if i had just ordered an SSD? i read somewhere its not an ssd but flash or something?

is the SSD unfused gonna be as fast as a normal non unfused drive?

i posted here about my new imac making weird hd noises constantly, and if i am just sensitive to these noises and my replacement is the same, i would want to unfuse the drive so i can just use the ssd part and not have the hd part spinning ..

coould i for instance eject the hd drive so it doesnt spin and then when i need to use it to store stuff, get it running again ?

i really dont want a fusion drive, just SSD .. but apple only offer £1000 SSD drive, so forces me to work around

now if the replacement mac fusion is dead quiet.. ill be ok ..

thanks for any advice help

2. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

Flash is just another term for SSD mate. I am thinking you think that it is literally fused together. Everything hardware wise is normal. One normal hard drive and one solid state drive. The only fusing is done with software. So if you want to 'unfuse' it lol. You would have to mess with the software, not hardware.

3. 2bcool2 thread starter macrumors regular

so the ssd part is just a normal SSD drive that is fused with software ?
    so once un fused i get a SSd drive show up , and a hd drive.

will the hd drive make noise if im only using the SSD ? can i eject it ? spin it down so no noise ?

lol no i dint think it was literally fused together !!! hahahah ... but i saw a video saying something about the SSD part not as fast as if you just has an SSD ... so i guess they meant working together as a fusion was slower than just an SSD .. thats good to know

thnx mate

4. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

according to the Apple graphs the fusion is just slightly slower then a stand alone SSD. I am not sure how to unfuse it (don't have fusion right now to try even) and I am sure once you got it unfused to show up both drives you could unmount that drive and it wouldn't spin.

If I were you I would be asking if anyone else is getting the same amount of hard drive noise you are instead of trying to cull the problem :p

5. 2bcool2 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i posted a thread about the bloody noise on this forum and lots of help, seems probably a faulty seagate hd fusion ... but my room is dead quiet so in case the replacement is the same wanted to know if i can just shut off the hd and use SSD ...just thinking ahead ... the next fusion drive might be fine ...