If I unlock my iPhone, can I still use it with AT&T?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by SephirothXR, May 11, 2012.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

I read this in a tutorial with PwnageTook for my iPhone 3GS's 4.3.3

Browse for iOS 4.3.3 firmware, click Open. Next, select ‘General’. If your iPhone is on an official carrier, untick ‘Activate the phone’. If you want to use your iPhone on an unofficial carrier, tick this box.

I'm leaving for Chile in two weeks and would like to be able to use my iPhone there. However, I still want to be able to use AT&T in general. If I unlock my iPhone, or "activate" it, can I still use AT&T and then switch to another carrier in Chile upon putting in a SIM card? I'm currently waiting to jailbreak depending on a response to this question so it'd be appreciated if anyone could tell me soon :)

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

simple answer yes it's unlocked! ;) you would be better of to call AT&T and see if they will unlock it for you. they are doing that now! also you are missing a few unlock steps. http://www.iclarified.com/unlock/

3. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Yup you'll be able to if you install redsn0w and install the iPad baseband I believe! Good luck and have a safe trip friend!

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

do not do this until you check with at&t ipad baseband is permanent and you will loose you gps! also it is possible to distroy the radio IE bricking it if it's a latter model 3gs

5. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Oh yeah I should've mentioned that.. actually yeah it's better that he tries to get an IMEI unlock if possible!

6. vistadude macrumors 65816

Ask AT&T to unlock it for international travel. They are generally doing it for many customers.

7. conartist4u macrumors regular

conartist4u

unlocking is a using your iPhone on any network including the one it was locked to.

activation is required to get the iPhone up and running using an authorised carrier sim if its locked and any sim if it's factory unlocked.

now the issue at hand, best to get unlock from carrier I.e AT&T and the. you can use it abroad and in the US on any network of your choice including you know what