If I update my iPhone 3GS to a stock 3.1.3, will I be able to jailbreak it?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by andrewwg94, Feb 27, 2010.

1. andrewwg94 macrumors member

i currently have an iphone 3gs with 3.1.2 jailbroken. it was manufactured in week 29 of last year according to my serial number. does that mean i have the old boot rom/non MC-model?

i know 3.1.3 has no new features. the only reason i have to update is because my cydia/apt is screwed up and the only way to fix it is to restore. itunes will not let me restore my 3.1.2 without updating (yes, i tried the shift/option button thing).

i just want to know if i upgrade to 3.1.3, will i be able to jailbreak with snowbreeze?

p.s. i know i can upgrade and downgrade using saurik's method, but that's just too much work.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

I'm guessing

You don't want to read much, or do any searching either. There are threads right on this page where we answered these questions already.

3. andrewwg94 thread starter macrumors member

actually ive been doing alot of googling. i didn't look at the forums on here though

4. andrewwg94 thread starter macrumors member

im still confused. can someone just answer me

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

What the poster is trying to encourage you to do is to help yourself by looking thru the threads here.

There are threads here on how to fix Cydia, but it may be above your tech level (harder than Googling) or too much effort.

Updating to 3.1.3 is just as much effort as restoring to 3.1.2

If you update to 3.1.3 you will not be able to unlock.

To restore to 3.1.2 (Choose set up as new), do this... then jailbreak with redsn0w.

http://www.saurik.com/id/12

6. MagnumJoe macrumors regular

7. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Running major hacks on your iPhone and trying to avoid anything that's "too much work" (even when people give you links) are more or less mutually exclusive, especially when your threshold for "too much work" is so low. Jailbreaking 3.1.3 in your situation is not going to be any less "work" than restoring to 3.1.2, and there's no other magic bullet that will save you if you're not willing to put in even the (quite minor) effort required to do either of these.

8. MagnumJoe macrumors regular

Very well put.

9. andrewwg94 thread starter macrumors member

why are you guys being so hard on me? i wasn't being lazy. i have downgraded before from 3.1.2 to 3.0. i know how to do it. my question was if it was possible to jailbreak a 3.1.3 on my device. i've updated to 3.1.3 and i want to keep it if possible. downgrading was my last resort. now does anyone know the answer to my question? what tools can i use to jailbreak?

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

People have already answered you. You cannot jailbreak your device at 3.1.3. If you have your SHSH saved, you can downgrade to 3.1.2 and jailbreak. Otherwise, you are stuck without a jailbreak.

Incidentally, the method you describe as "just too much work" consists of editing a single text file. I know that's a dreadful burden, but it just might be within your ability. Perhaps you could get someone to help you.

11. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Apologies if you think we're being hard on you, but it's hard to read "i know i can upgrade and downgrade using saurik's method, but that's just too much work" as anything but laziness. As thelatinist pointed out, this barely involves any work. It boils down to editing a text file and then holding Option when clicking "Restore" in iTunes. Surely you can see why people would have a hard time coming up with a process that suits your desired level of effort when you've already preemptively refused the method that involves fewer steps than tying your shoes. If you had given a justification for wanting to avoid 3.1.2 besides "that's just too much work", then maybe you would have gotten less snippy replies.

And lots of people know the answer to your question. And they've answered it in this very thread. Read the posts by MagnumJoe and dhlizard. Click the links they posted.

12. thkevinlee macrumors newbie

My iPhone 3gs is jailbroken and i accidentaly updated it for the newest version in itunes.
    My iphone then restarted and then i can't use it anymore.
    It said that the sim card is unsupported and the screen on my iphone
    just shows connect iphone to itunes. HELP PLEASE?!?!?!
    and thanks in advance!

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Your phone is no longer jailbroken or unlocked. If you have your SHSH on file in Cydia, you can downgrade to 3.1.2 and jailbreak; otherwise you cannot. In either case, your baseband has been upgraded and you will not be able to unlock your phone again for the foreseeable future. This means that your phone will only work on the official iPhone carrier that originally sold it.

14. globalist macrumors 6502a

Umm, the Iclarified guide seems to suggest otherwise?

"PwnageTool now supports the latest 3.1.3 firmware"

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Pwnage tool only works on phones that are already pwned (that is, that have the old bootrom and are already jailbroken). If you currently have an untethered jailbreak on 3.0, 3.0.1, 3.1 or 3.1.2, it will allow you to upgrade to 3.1.3 without losing your jailbreak. It cannot jailbreak a phone that has already been upgraded to 3.1.3 official, however.

16. hushmartin macrumors 6502

Yeah, don't upgrade to 3.1.3. Even if your SHSH's are on file, you still might not be able to downgrade. I haven't figured out what went wrong, but that's exactly what happened to me. I'll keep working on it, perhaps I did something wrong, but I don't think so. Guess that shows me for listening to other people.

Yay, I get to wait til a 4.0 Jailbreak before I can jb again.

17. thkevinlee macrumors newbie

sn0wbreeze

so I just recently downloaded sn0wbreeze to unlock my iphone for the 3.1.3 firmware
    i also downloaded the 3.1.3 IPSW firmware.
    but when I browsed for it, the file doesn't show but it is right there on the desktop when I'm not browsing for it. any suggestions?

18. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Snowbreeze is a jailbreak tool not an unlock tool.
    Very few posters here will recommend Snowbreeze to jailbreak your phone.
    I would NEVER use it.

19. Shwonx macrumors member

Is it absolutly nesesary to set up as new? I don't really want to lose all of my text messages and statistic information.

20. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Well again, we come down to good clean trouble free restore or too much work.

If you restore to backup, you will not your lose settings and texts. But, it is highly likely that the jailbreak Gremlins will come right back into your clean firmware. If you are doing this to "fix" Cydia, restoring to backup may not guarantee that Cydia works correctly when you re-jailbreak. And bad battery life is real common when restoring to back-up. Obviously, your call.

There are other methods to save texts.

21. Shwonx macrumors member

How would I save my texts and my statistic page? There are things on my phone I don't want to lose.

22. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Well, I just Googled "save iphone text messages to mac" and got lots of options.

Have no idea what statistics you are talking about, but try Google.

23. Shwonx macrumors member

Yea sorry about the lack of explanation and poor word choice. (And lack of searching).

Overworked + Sleep deprived are not a good combination.

I meant my Usage information, like my data and total call time.

I'm kind of OCD about those things. I guess if worse came to worst I could just screenshot them. :p

24. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Any firmware restore will clear your usage data, whether you restore from backup or set up as new. What sense would it make to store usage data in a point-in-time backup that one might restore to weeks or even months later?