If I update to 5.0.1 on my iPad can I stay on 5.0 on my iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Synergie, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Synergie macrumors 6502a

I just tried to initiate the update to 5.0.1 for my iPad (which I don't care about jail breaking on) and the acknowledge screen that came up in iTunes said that software update is compatible with iPad, iPhone 4s, etc... so I cancelled it.

It looked like the ONE download would try to update both devices. Can I update just the iPad while leaving the iPhone on 5.0 so I can jailbreak it when the JB comes out? Or should I leave both the iPad2 and iPhone 4s at 5.0 (i.e. not take any chances)

2. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

Devices don't "magically" update by themselves. Translation: you can safely update your iPad to 5.0.1, and your iPhone will remain on 5.0 until you update that other device.

Then again, with all the recent complaints of the 5.0.1 release, you might want to pause before updating that iPad...

3. psejcf macrumors member

As suggested in several other threads here, why not just leave them at 5.0 and wait for the possible untethered jailbreak to arrive? If you update to 5.0.1, then you may probably have to stick with a tethered jailbreak.

Back to your question - iTunes does not do delta updates, which means it would still download two entire firmware files (one for the iPad and one for the iPhone) if you choose to update both devices. The full download of the firmware file is specific to each device type (iPad, iPhone, iPhone CDMA...) and model (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad 1, iPad 2...).

4. g35 macrumors 6502a

Updating your ipad won't update your iphone. they're totally separate...you'll be okay!

5. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay just wanted to be absolutely sure... because I am about at my wits end without Lock Info! :( Hurry up 4s JB!!

6. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I almost hate getting iPhones on launch day having to wait for jailbreaks but I had to get rid of my Evo ASAP