If I upgrade my 8800GT to be 4870, can 8800GT to be a PhysX

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vicentk, Mar 7, 2009.

1. vicentk macrumors regular

vicentk

My mac pro is early 2008, already had a 8800GT on borad, if I upgrade my main display to be 4870, what can 8800GT do in XP 64 bit? Can it be PhysX drive?

I just newbie in apple. Hope my question is not to fool

2. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

I'm going to upgrade my 8800GT to the ATi 4870 too which do you think is the better card should i keep the 8800GT or get the 4870 but if Apple doesn't come out with adapters for the LED Cinema I'm gonna have to buy the ATi

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can't make the 8800 GT into a dedicated physics processor. You also cannot use the 8800 GT and the 4870 at the same time.

Apple will never make a DVI-Mini DisplayPort adapter, so you'll either have to not buy an LED Cinema Display or buy the 4870.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

that would be awesome if you could designate tasks for the cards

5. m1stake macrumors 68000

Actually, you can. Just don't try it without SLI, and forget about mixing ATI and Nvidia. :p

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm talking about power requirements, unless you rout the cable down from the optical drive.

7. m1stake macrumors 68000

Can we have one thread that doesn't run aground on Apple's "innovation?" I know, I know, wishful thinking.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What do you mean? Innovation in that they restrict the ability to use any configuration other than the ones available on their store, or innovation in that we can't modify said hardware to do things (such as physics processing)?

Because I'm already fighting them by getting a Radeon 4870 and a GT 120. Take THAT Apple! :p

9. vicentk thread starter macrumors regular

vicentk

Sorry to my fool first, are you sure that?
    Is the setting like this : ATI 4870 to my ACD 30", 8800GT just plug in pci-e second socket, in windows I need to install nVidia and ATI drive, will them crack ? I'm not sure that because I leave PC long time ago, when I in PC life I know both display card can't install in same mother board.

Hope you can tell me more.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It just can't be done, power-wise. There aren't enough connectors inside the computer for both cards.

XP can handle the drivers fine, but the computer can't power them.

11. grue macrumors 65816

It can be done, but it's uggglllly to do it. I had a GTX260 and an 8800GT installed simultaneously for a short time. GTX260 used one motherboard power connectors and a molex splitter to PCIe 6pin adapter from the optical drive, and the 8800GT used the other motherboard power connector.

12. gelid macrumors member

Not that ugly in my eyes. I ran a Molex extension from the optical bays to the PCI Express bay and it was fairly easy. The only time I see it is when I remove the side of the case anyways (which is rare).

To install the extension, I just had to pull ot the optical bay and remove a total of four screws (for the fan assembly and first SATA connector) to route the cable neatly. I put everything back, then put the four screws back in. Easy peasy.

13. vicentk thread starter macrumors regular

vicentk

I see.

If I upgrade to 4870, and buy one more pc verision 4870, can I run crossfire ?
    If I can I think I will go to that way.

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You would have to use an external power supply (meaning an internal supply from a normal PC) and keep your case open constantly (something that is NOT a good idea to do) to run two of them.

15. vicentk thread starter macrumors regular

vicentk

Thank you again.
    In my plan first way will buy Apple ATI 4870, for further if one 4870 can't handle the game, I can get one more PC ATI 4870.

16. vicentk thread starter macrumors regular

vicentk

After I saw the test report of Mac Pro 2009, I can confirm upgrade to HD4870 is the best way