If I upgrade to an iPhone 5 today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by puma1552, May 1, 2013.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

If I upgrade from my 4S to a 5 today on AT&T (launch day 4S owner with a full upgrade available in two weeks but AT&T told me the Apple store could upgrade me on the 1st of the month), how difficult is it to get the new phone set up with my same number etc. and deactivate the old phone by myself?

I know the guys in the Apple store will do it, but I don't really want them taking the phone out of the box and setting it on a hard surface or doing something that could damage it, I'd prefer to go there, buy a new phone, and just bring it home and open it up myself and get it working.

So how difficult is it to do/what all is involved?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If you do it at the Apple store, they will do this for you; all it takes is them scanning the back barcode of the box. By the time you walk out, your old number will have been ported to the sim already inside the iPhone 5. From there, you can restore from your old backup, and everything will look like it did on the 4S, with the exception of you being able to fill another row of icons, should you choose to do so.

3. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Yeah they really damage your phone when they open it up at the Apple Store.

4. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Seriously, get some felt fabric.

5. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

All it takes is one guy wearing a wedding band to scuff it while handling it.

It would be cool if someone could answer the question asked.

6. Ryan Burgess macrumors 6502

I can't say for sure, but as far as my experiences go it should be pretty straight forward. Although, now that I think about it… the 4s SIM card won't fit in the 5.

If you really don't want apple doing it, you could buy the 5 than take the 4s to AT&T and give them your old sim and ask for a nano sim. They might charge you ($5) or they might not…anyways after that you just pop in the sim and it'll activate, etc... Automatically.

7. jdusoccer12 macrumors regular

Just order online from Apple, they have free shipping and then it will come with instructions on how to set it up and will have everything you need in the box.

8. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Bingo. This answers the question asked without unsolicited opinions on Apple staff. And, this is exactly what I did last time I upgraded. Activating the new phone is a snap; you'll have no trouble.

Kudos jdusoccer12.

9. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Wouldn't all iPhones come with the same instructions in the box, whether ordered or bought in store?

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The question you asked was answered, by me, the first to respond. What more do you need to know?

11. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I never have Apple take my phone out of the box in store. They scanned the barcode on the box, and my old phone got deactivated. As soon as I powered on the new phone, my service was transferred to the 5 and all was well.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The iPhone ships as a box within a box. Essentially you get the shipping box, inside of which is the iPhone in plastic wrap, as well as instructions on how to activate the sim inside the phone. Conversely, they can do this same thing for you in store, without having to open the box, as mentioned.

13. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Ah, sorry I misread it, thanks!