If I use a NON-iPhone tariff from O2 can I tether??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickosbad, Dec 12, 2011.

1. nickosbad macrumors regular

Hiya, After 12 months away from iPhones I have become fed up with my 4 faulty HTC sensations and am being tempted back to an iPhone

The MAJOR selling point for me though is the fact I can tether my iPad to use my mobile data

I don't want to go on one of O2's iPhone tariffs as I am on a £21.50 sim only deal but what I want to know is if I use this sim in an iPhone will I be able to use the tethering option or does it need to be an iPhone specific tariff to get the right carrier update to allow this to be activated??

Cheers, Nick

2. salacious macrumors 6502a

theres no such thing as iphone specific tethering, its just a data plan, your better off with 3 from what iv heard about tethering.. oh yeah if you do decide to phone them dont mention its an iphone, simply because they will charge you extra, they like to be commy like that :)

3. nickosbad thread starter macrumors regular

I can't go with 3 as the ONLY signal I get at my home is O2

I have just finished with Orange due top poor signal, Work has just changed to O2 from Vodafone (which was also crap) and I have tried a 3 sim but no joy

So the phone will automatically download the necessary carrier update to allow tethering irrespective of the tariff (so long as there is data)?

4. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

The new tariffs that 02 introduced earlier this year, which allow you to chose whether you require a data bolt on or not (which if you have a smartphone you would need/want a data bolt on). The data allowance of this bolt on allows you to use the data for tethering. This is the case if you are on a simplicity tariff or a pay monthly tariff/contract tariff, I assume you are on a simplicity tariff?

If you are on a simplicity tariff, I'm almost certain that you have to specify whether it's a smartphone (Android), Blackberry, iPhone. So if your on a simplicity tariff (smartphone) already from having your HTC then you would probably need to contact O2 and get them to swap you over to an iPhone one, the price would still remain the same though. The sim may work in the iPhone as it is, but things such as visual voicemail would not.

5. nickosbad thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, let me clarify

The sim I want to use is actually one that I received today for a Samsung Galaxy S2, the deal I got was a 24 month £21.50 contract. By selling the phone, recycling my old one and the cashback I will receive means that I can buy a Sim Free iPhone 4S at no extra cost

So basically I would be on a 24 month contract with a free iPhone (not a Sim Only tariff)