If I use MBA 13 for entertainment stuff, could a 6 Plus replace my iPad and iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JerTheGeek, Jan 16, 2015.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I have heard that the 6 Plus, or any phablet really, could make a good replacement for a tablet. I normally use my iPad for simple entertainment stuff, but what if I started using my MacBook Air 13" as my entertainment device for a big screen while at home, like I used to do a lot (for a while after i got the MBA it was my main entertainment device, but for some random reason i started using my iPad again for entertainment).
    If I use my MBA 13 for a big screened device while at home, could the 6 Plus be a good two-in-one device to replace my iPad mini and 5s? Anyone done this before? I could see myself using the 6 Plus at home as a nice, portable, yet still large device for YouTube and watching hockey (go bolts!). I could also see myself using it for replying to posts here on MR and also reading technology news, etc. And when I want a big screen I could use my MBA. What do you guys think, good option or no?
    (I'll also mention that my contract is ending in September. I have a while to think about this, but if I'm gonna do it, I need to decide in the next few months cause otherwise I will update my iPad mini to a newer iPad. Also, if I do get the 6 plus and decide i still want the iPad, my bday would come a few months later where i could get a new iPad if things didnt go as planned.)
    Any advice is appreciated!
    Thanks,
    JerTheGeek

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

A number of members here have ditched their iPad mini (or found themselves using it less and less) once they got the 6+, but only you can know for sure once you try it out.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

While I do love my 6P, I still prefer my iPad Air for sofa web surfing.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If I had a choice between the iPhone 6+ or the iPad Air for home surfing, I would pick the iPad Air all day every day.

I have the iPhone 6. I have seen the plus model. As good as it is for a Phablet, it can't compare to the real estate and ease of use that the iPad Air affords. I really like my iPad Air.

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

I, on the other hand, have never owned an iPad. With my iPhone 6 plus, I never will. My MacBook Air handles my work related and entertainment stuff and now the phone will share in those duties.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

Have the 6 Plus and iPad Mini 2. While the 6 Plus does have a nice sized screen, it can't compare to the entertainment experience of the iPad. Plus i find it impractical to read books and textbooks on the small iPhone screen.

If you're solely using your iPad for general web surfing and watching videos then the Plus might be able to replace it.

7. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

That's pretty much all I use it for.

8. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

A lot of people who bought a 6+ are using their iPads less than they used to.

9. mrp717 macrumors newbie

I did what you are asking, ditched the iPad after 6+. I also have a rMBP 13 for some things and the 6+ for others. I don't miss the iPad, wife has one and I have not picked it up.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

No way my 6 or 6+ will replace my iPad Air 2.

11. neile45 macrumors regular

It's something you will need to figure out. I have a MBA 13, a iPad Air 2, and a 6 plus. I never use the iPad. It's basically my wife's now.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The more I use my IP6+. the less my iPad mini gets used. I wasn't intending this of course, but that's been the natural progression for me.

I think it does depend on the users expectation and usage habits, but for me, the rMini has become superfluous. Maybe I out to think about selling it, but I just don't have the heart to do it.

13. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I have both the iPad air and the 6+. Previously when I had the iPhone 5, I used my iPad all the time especially at home. I would use my iPhone 5 pretty much when out and about and didn't have my Air. And believe me, I love the Air. Then along comes the Plus in September. Since I got the new Plus, I hardly use my Air. I thought at first it was the phenomenon of having a new phone. But 5 months later I still use the Plus 90% of the time. I use my iPad Air when I'm answering emails for work or working on documents as I have a Logitech keyboard and it helps my typing speed. Also, Outlook through Safari is really tiny on the phone. I know I could have my work email go directly to regular email but I like to have some control over my work and personal space.

For all my leisure web surfing, I use the Plus. I charge my IPad Air once a week if that. But I still wouldn't give up the iPad Air cause when I need it, I want it.

14. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Ideally; a 5" phone, tablet and laptop would be the tools I would choose to own. Of course a 5.5" phone and laptop could easily be used instead but compromises would need to be made, such as phone portability and faux-tablet use. The 'phablet' is a jack of all trades and master of none.
    (I own the 6+)

15. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

My 6 plus has not altered my iPad Air 2 usage one iota. I love my iPad for home web surfing.

16. Allthings-I macrumors 6502

I have iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 and Macbook Pro Retina.

I just recently got a iPad Air 2 because I wanted something bigger than a iPhone 6 Plus but smaller than a laptop that I can carry around all the time.

My iPad Air 2 still provides great ease of use at all times, looking at the iPhone 6 Plus screen ALL the time isn't practical.

I used to think that an ipad did not have any use in my line up of devices but now having used only the 6 Plus and Macbook for 4 months, I have found a gap where my ipad serves better than my iPhone 6 plus and Macbook.

One thing for sure, its hard to make time for a 3rd device of such kind, but there is a space for it if you look for it where it is perfect.