If I walk into the Apple Store today, can I buy the unlocked iPhone 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by petrucci666, Oct 17, 2011.

1. petrucci666, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

I have an eBay offer on my iPhone 4 pending and I need a straight up answer.

I'm talking about the Apple Store in San Francisco, looking for an unlocked iPhone 4s 16GB in white.
    It'll be used on AT&T so I only need the GSM portion unlocked.

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Wait, you need it unlocked, but you're going to use AT&T as the provider? Sorry, that doesn't make sense.

3. b24pgg macrumors 65816

If you buy an off-contract phone, then yes it will be unlocked.

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Perhaps he does some major international traveling? If that's the case the only way to *possibly* get an unlocked iPhone 4S is to buy a full retail priced AT&T phone without making any contract updates.

I say *possibly* because this has been people's experience, but is entirely unadvertised. Like all the news stories have said, the official unlocked phone comes out in November.

5. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

If anyone knows of any California shops selling them unlocked please post locations.

6. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I'm between the US and Europe 50-50 throughout the year so when I go to Europe (or anywhere else), I need it to work with local carriers. I also don't like being tied down to a contract.

Oh and plus - I am on a month to month plan right now with unlimited data, so signing a 2 year contract will most likely force me into a capped plan, which sucks!

7. wellok macrumors 6502

Well you wouldn't have to sign a contract. You'd just be paying full retail. But that's just a sidenote.

Also: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/15/off-contract-att-iphone-4ss-already-come-unlocked/

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Paying full retail for the 4S will not get you an unlocked iPhone 4S from AT&T. You just will not have to sign a contract.

The truly unlocked iPhones from AT&T will not come for a month or two from what I understand.

9. petrucci666, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This doesn't make sense. Why would people be getting the 'Congratulations, your iPhone is now unlocked' screen when connecting their iPhone to iTunes, if the phone is still locked?

10. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just called Apple Support and they said the unlocked version won't be offered until November.

Then why are people getting unlocked phones?

11. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

wait till that time, another two or four weeks ...

12. CmdrThor macrumors member

Since people are indeed reporting that they are getting unlocked phones even though Apple is saying that is not available until November, the best thing to do would be to go buy an AT&T full retail phone, take it home, and see if it is unlocked. If it isn't, return and wait until November.

13. iPhone 7 macrumors member

They are obviously going to say that.

14. djuzi05 macrumors regular

People, people.

Buying an iPhone off-contract from the Apple store right now gives you a factory unlocked iPhone. Of course, Apple isn't going to tell you that but it's true. Many users in the other thread reported the same.

Try not to give Apple any of your ATT info though, a lot of them don't ask anyway if you're buying off contract

15. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Apple store in San Francisco does not have 16GB white for at&t in stock. Same with stonestown.

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It just could be that iTunes is wrong.:rolleyes:

We will not know if they are REALLY unlocked until someone confirms it.:eek:

17. djuzi05 macrumors regular

It's confirmed! People are using the 4s on Tmobile and some international sims too.

18. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

How could one look at their iPhone to see if it was unlocked?:confused:

19. Dallious macrumors member

WOW, the info is out there, do some homework, yes there are unlocked iphone 4S available

20. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It's been confirmed by many many people.

arn

21. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Though if AT&T loads the IMEI numbers for these phones into their database, they will be locked the next time the SIM authenticates with the GSM system...

Be careful buying a phone that is not sold as factory unlocked.

22. EddyP macrumors 6502

So I buy a phone from Apple without providing any carrier information. ATT can lock my phone to their network just because I use their network? Is that even legal? I understand IF the phone is sold locked to begin with. But if it's unlocked, can they legally lock my phone?

23. mralmostpopular macrumors member

You're not buying a phone without carrier information. Apple isn't selling official unlocked phones at the moment. These are AT&T phones sans contract. The unlocking is entirely AT&Ts decision.

The official no-carrier unlocked phones will be available in November.