If I want a 13", am I better off buying now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joeshaw92, Jan 10, 2011.

  1. joeshaw92 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2011
    #1
    Hi, I am currently a university student looking to upgrade to a mac from my old dell laptop.

    I want a 13" macbook pro as my current laptop is the same size and it's one of the main things I like about it. I really like the current look of the macbook pro, which to be honest is the only factor making me choose it over the macbook, and I find the air to be too thin. I have a budget of roughly £800, which, with my university student discount, is about the cost of the macbook pro, with a free 3 year warranty thrown in.

    Anyway, after reading many predictions of the upcoming update, a lot of people are saying that there's a chance apple will drop the 13" completely, or increase the price, which would put it out of my budget. I also like the idea of having discrete graphics, making it possible to play a few games, nothing heavy, but more so than integrated graphics which is becoming another possibility. The 13" air is out of my budget, and the 11" doesn't have enough storage space and is too small.

    My question is, should I buy now, or wait until the update and buy then? I could buy it refurbished afterwards, but I'd lose my discount.

    Any thoughts/opinions?

    On a side note, has anyone come from using Windows 7? How did you adjust to the loss of some handy features, such as where you drag a window to the top/side of the screen and it resizes, and being able to control itunes from the taskbar?

    Many thanks
     
  2. Dalton63841, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

    Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

    Dalton63841

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2010
    Location:
    SEMO, USA
    #2
    I will play good cop. If you need it now, buy it now. Otherwise wait.


    Bad cop will be right behind me.

    EDIT: I came from using Windows 7. Mac has tons of features that Windows 7 does not have, but Windows Previews and Window Snapping can be done on Mac with an app called Hyperdock. BetterTouchTool can also do this.

    As far as controlling iTunes from the taskbar, you know you can minimize the iTunes window and use the F-keys for iTunes.
     
  3. croooow macrumors 65816

    croooow

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2004
  4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

    Dalton63841

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2010
    Location:
    SEMO, USA
    #4
    Hi bad cop! :p
     
  5. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #5
    I don't know about that, but it won't likely happen, as the 13" MBP is quite successful at this point, therefore dropping it completely or increasing its price is not really a winning situation for Apple.


    The 13" MBP doesn't have a discrete or dedicated GPU, it is integrated into the chipset (Nvidia).


    Do you need it now? If so, buy now. If you can wait until Spring, then wait, and get one of the older models if the newer ones do not satisfy you.


    There are many ways to emulate the windows behaviour (snapping) in Mac OS X, one is using BetterTouchTool. Use MRoogle to find dozens of threads about that.
    http://mroogle.*************/

    And you can control iTunes via the media keys on the keyboard, but there are also ways to control it via the Menu Bar or the Dock icon.
     
  6. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

    Dalton63841

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2010
    Location:
    SEMO, USA
    #6
    The app Hyperdock can do both of these things. I used to use Bettertouchtool for Window Snapping, but since I found Hyperdock, it more fits what I need.
     
  7. joeshaw92 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2011
    #7
    Thanks for all the replies, the hyperdock app sounds great, so thats one concern out of the way.

    And as for waiting for spring and buying an older model (refurb would seem the only option), I would lose my discount of about 15%, which is a lot when spending a lot of money. And no, I dont need it now, but the reason I was asking is more to avoid there not being a suitable model available when the update arrives
     
  8. Auzburner macrumors 65816

    Auzburner

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2008
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY - USA
  9. WardC macrumors 68030

    WardC

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2007
    Location:
    Fort Worth, TX
    #9
    Out of all the current MacBook Pro lineup, the 13" model is the one that is the most outdated and most ending it's cycle. It is the one in the most need of a refresh. It still uses Core 2 Duo, has an integrated GPU, and a very, very low resolution 1280x800 display.

    With Intel releasing Sandy Bridge, Apple is likely to put an i3 or i5 in the next 13" MacBook Pro, update the display to a 1440x900 resolution display, have Solid-State storage standard, and maybe even offer a matte display option on these models.

    I would recommend anybody to absolutely WAIT if they are in the market for a 13" MBP model, and not buy now under ANY circumstance.
     
  10. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #10
    I definitely get the "now or wait" question when it involves discounts, resales, or any scenario where waiting actually could cause a loss of money. The upside is you might get something better for your money. Or not. Definitely a gamble, but fortunately not a life or death one.
     
  11. atppkr macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2011
    #11
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    I Am in the same boat here although I've took the plunge and ordered it. Who knows when the new one will be out, how much it will be. If the new one tickles your fancy when it does eventually come out, sell your MVP and buy the new one. Simples.
     
  12. NickZac macrumors 68000

    NickZac

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2010
    #12
    Release date, performance stats, and price of the upgrade are completely unknown. Buy one now and enjoy it.
     
  13. newdeal macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    #13
    ...

    The 13" doesn't nave discrete graphics, its integrated nvidia graphics. Also they won't drop the 13" since its their best selling laptop. The may drop the white macbook but not the 13" pro
     
  14. Gok macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2010
    #14
    Dude, buy now and you can sell it afterwards. Macbook Pros can always find a buyer at good price. Thus, it also help you to upgrade your computer after 1,5 years past..

    And "handy features" of Windows 7? Trackpad of Macbook Pro is beyond handy. Do not worry about that. :apple:

    And lastly, about that gaming part, I don't think you can get a great performance but check out Youtube videos. There are lots of good guys who upload gameplay videos, maybe you can find what you looking for there.
     
  15. JCCash macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    #15
    At some point I'm going to give my 13" MBP to daughter who is in college. But before I do I'm going to let her keep using her HP until it becomes a big problem. When I do give her my MBP I'll simply buy an iPad. I have a 24" iMac for home use and I'm starting to think for the travel I do I can get buy with an iPad.

    OK enough about me. If you can wait wait but if you can't buy now. My 13" is about five months old and we like it a lot and it works great.


     
  16. PFDarkside macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2010
    #16
    Personally, if I were in your situation (and needed a computer) and was happy with the current 13" Pro... I'd get the 13" Air. I've loved my 13" Pro for the past 8 months (bought the week of the refresh) but the Air would be ideal for my situation.

    However, I was playing your game last year.... Constantly checking for updates every week and lurking in the "Waiting for Arrandale" thread. I think I ended up waiting two months or so. Even though I didn't "gain" much with the 13" refresh, it felt good to get the one I did instead of an "old" one that got refreshed a month later.

    If your Dell works, wait for the refresh. Worst comes to worst, if you don't like the refresh, buy a refurbed 13".
     

Share This Page