If i want to upgrade to 4.1 and still leave my phone unlocked

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by loveman339, Nov 12, 2010.

1. loveman339 macrumors newbie

I have a iphone4 which is on another network, a fd of fd sold it to me. (now i regret it, i would pay the extra to for a factory unlock). So he unlocked the phone with me, it has a 4.0.1 OS with baseband 1.59.00. I would like to upgrade to 4.1 since i cant facetime with my fds, but i do not have the original SIM card to activiate the phone.
    So just wonder if i upgrade the phone using tinyumberalla, during the process do i need a oriiginal SIM from the original locked network in order to restart after restore 4.1? I don't want to rush through and end up lock out from the phone, so please help. thanks.

2. ALs2000 macrumors newbie

I'm not sure about an upgrade, but with a restore you definatly would. Why don't you just by a deactivated at&t micro sim from ebay, it shouldn't be more than a few dollars with shipping.

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Now you don't need an official sim. Which ever you jailbreak with, GreenPois0n or LimeRa1n, hactivates the iPhone.

4. loveman339 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

No problem:apple:

6. yourwiseguy macrumors regular

yourwiseguy

I believe that if you upgrade using PwnageTools you won't have to activate but if you use Tiny Umbrella you will need a SIM card. I use my friend's SIM card to activate, though, so it has never been a problem.

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Be careful updating; both 4.1 and the GM of 4.2 update your baseband to one that is currently not unlockable. You either need to use PwnageTool to JB with custom firmware or update with Tiny Umbrella (iPhone 4 only) to protect your current baseband and unlock. New unlock for the 3G/3GS should be out fairly soon, but they're still working on the one for the iPhone 4.

Instructions for both processes are around, a search should turn them up.

8. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Dont give out half of the information that he needs!

Can't you read that he needs it to be unlock? GreenPois0n or LimeRa1n will update the BB!

Use PwnageTool or use Tiny Umbrella (iPhone 4 only) to preserve the BB for unlock.

9. BeijingiPhone macrumors newbie

sn0wbreeze 2.1 is out, it can customize 4.1 and preserving your baseband!