If I went into Apple because of some screen bleed that's annoying me...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DDar, Jan 9, 2009.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

2. YouArentJ macrumors member

YouArentJ

i'm running into the same thing on my MBP - a small bleed left of center in the middle of the screen - and something in the top left of the screen near the apple menu... UGH.

3. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

I wish mine was in the corner... Mine's right in the middle, appears only on darker screens though. Noticeable mostly when my MBP is plugged in (since the screen is dimmed when not plugged in).

It gets very annoying when watching movies or painting images with dark colors. =(

4. Crash1234 macrumors regular

They'll probably tell you it's within spec. My mbp has light bleed. Vertical lines going right up the middle. It's noticible on dark screens and obviously is quite visible during some scenes in movies which is annoying. However, after seeing other things that could go wrong with these machines, and seeing machines on display with even worse bleed than mine, I decided it wasn't worth it to try to exchange it again. It isn't right that so many of these displays are clearly inferior quality, but if you want this machine, I suppose you'll probably have to live with it. It's almost like apple buys defective displays from the companies it gets it's displays from at a discount and then puts them on their top of the line notebooks and charges us a fortune for them.

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

When I got my 24" iMac a year ago, my first one had back light bleeding at the bottom. They replaced it for me with another one. Of course, mine was pretty bad.

6. dogg macrumors regular

dogg

Going onto my third screen because of the bleed issue. My local Apple Store have been great with me, because they know if you spend this much on a laptop then the least that Apple can do if give you a flawless screen.

As a point of interest i compared my 85 screen to an 84 screen in store. There are no bleed issues on the 84 screens so i am hoping that my replacement will be one of these. The store has ordered 2 screens to try out.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Really depends how bad it is, do you only see it on a dark screen in a dark room? in which case they wont do anything, but if its annoying and you can even see it on light screens then in the MBP they usually replace it.

8. Crash1234 macrumors regular

Hmm... when I was looking at light bleed in the stores, it seemed all the ones that I saw with obvious bleed issues where the 84 screens. I mean, I've owned and seen on display, 84 screens that you could see obvious bleeding even when looking at a white safari page. Maybe it's just a crapshoot as to how bad the bleeding is and it doesn't matter what company the screen came from.

9. 7even macrumors 6502a

FWIW, my 84 only has a barely noticeable dark stripe on the left side and barely noticeable brighter spots along the bottom. Not all of them have light bleed issues :p

10. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

They will say, "hmm I do see what you mean. Let me ask the manager."

Then he will come back and tell you that the manager has agreed to do a one time exchange but the next time you will have to take the restock fee hit or just return it.

If your next mbp happens to be worse then you go to the other apple store near you and repeat process!

Been there done that 20 times!

11. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

This is definitely an incorrect statement. My own personal experience so far would suggest that fewer LG panels have bleed issues but that the issues, when present, are more noticeable and offensive than those more commonly found on the typical 9C85 screens. At any rate, the LG panels definitely do have their own bleed issues.

12. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Listen to this man. First of all because he really has done this at least 20 times, based on his post history. (@jjahshik32: No offense intended. At these price points, you deserve perfection.) Secondly, so have I, and I can confirm that this is most likely exactly what they will say.

13. Scallywag macrumors regular

My screen, which had some bad backlight bleeding, is being replaced as we speak...a month after the 14 day window. The genius actually offer to give me a brand new computer, but I opted to keep mine...it works flawlessly and I've already swapped the memory and HDD, so it would have been a pain. But I do get a brand new screen (had an otherwise nice-looking 85). My old screen was pretty bad, so just about anything would be an improvement.

14. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Haha, I've heard this too, for other issues. Unfortunately, there is a wide range of response for all issues depending on the tech you get and the particular store.

15. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

Don't forget the part where they let you stand waiting for the answer for 10 minutes right in front of the newest product in the store...or the accessories for the product you have brought in to be looked at.

16. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Or the displayport adapter that should have been bundled in the first place. :)

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Or the Applecare Protection Plan that they will tell you about if you didn't see it on the shelf while you were waiting. :D