If I were elected President of the US...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Nov 19, 2007.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I will create a new world order and make the US the great country it once was and make sure that everyone has a fair chance at the American dream. I will make socialized medicine similar to the UK, Canada and France have and put the US back on top for medical care. I will pass bills making all energy environmentally friendly and affordable for every American. I will raise the minimum wage so no longer families will have starve in the streets. I will promise a science friendly White House. I will personally work with other counties to bring PEACE on EARTH.

What would you do if you were elected president???

(please keep it realistic)

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I'd like to move tax day to be the day before election day, and then abolish income tax withholdings. I think we'd see some really positive change in our Government if people had to vote the day after having to write a check for 1/3rd of their annual income.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Well that's ironic. :p

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Take all the money they give to the Pentagon and put it into the space program.... maybe

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Beat me to it!

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I wouldn't step down to take it.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'd sell it and use the money to buy something I really wanted.

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Isn't that sort of what the present administration is about, already?

9. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

I mean don't say stupid things like "I'll legalize marijuana"

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Maybe, but they're obviously not very good at negotiating on price.

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

...A far more reasonable claim than "Peace on Earth," really.

12. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

No dream is too big for one man to imagine.

13. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Most of the things you mentioned are about as possible to do (and unlikely) as making marijuana legal... It would take nearly 50 years to make all those changes so you'd have to add one more to your list about getting rid of term limits.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

lol sorry,
    thats not a bad idea. ok, take all the money they give to the pentagon and spend it on legalizing marijuana.

YES! Can you imagine that? There is a movie in there somewhere.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That really isn't a stupid thing to say. For one, the "war on drugs" doesn't work, and it's a waste of time, money and other resources. Plus, they can legalize it and tax the hell out of it like cigarettes.

So yes, if I were elected POTUS, that's one of the things I'd do. I don't touch the stuff and don't plan on it, but it should be legalized IMO.

16. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

LOL

You guys are being overly critical.

Obviously I will never be elected president. My post is my dream of a perfect world.

17. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Than why did you put "rules" on it to not say certain things?

I'm experiencing déjà vu for some reason. Didn't we just have a thread not too long ago that started exactly like this?

18. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

FINE! do whatever.

19. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

we'd need to be specific. recreational use should be OK! and driving "under the influence punishable similarly to DUI. but seriously, i wanna grow some sick bud in my closet and buy some exotics up at the local convenience store.

ALSO! aside from weed, if anyone here is elected president, check out democracy matters. it's all about publicly funded elections to prevent politicians from being bought by large donations from special interest groups.

SEE! i dont just care about the legalization of the ganj.

20. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Yeah, I gotta agree with yg17 -- why is this a "stupid thing"? Seems like a reasonable and realistic goal to me.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Everything Bush is doing, yeah, pretty much the exact opposite on almost everything.

Except for the no-call list, and maybe a couple of other little things.

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I've been over some of this ground in other threads, but I'd have three main goals: disconnecting money from politics; promoting a more peaceful world; and counteracting the threat of fundamentalism at home by assuring the continuing success of liberalism.

For the first goal, I'd work towards actually using the anti-trust laws we already have, and possibly strengthening them. I'd want to establish federal financing of elections. I'd want laws on the books (and ideally a Supreme Court decision to back me up) that would put limits on the ways companies can influence government and hide their taxable income.

I'd attempt the second goal by doing pretty much everything the opposite of what the Bush administration is doing in the Middle East. I'd want closer relations with and support for Arab countries; I'd want to distance myself (but not completely) from Israel; and I'd want to keep our friggin' fingers out of nation-building over there.

The third goal, I'd order the FCC to reinstate the Equal Time doctrine so that radio wouldn't be primarily a steady diet of conservative disinformation. I'd also order them to require the divestiture of media from the big companies that own them; I'd return to the time (as when I was growing up) when the government said a company could own only one newspaper in town, three radio stations, etc. And I'd require the teaching of civics, particularly the Constitution, in all levels of school: elementary, secondary and college. I'd want an independent board of really credible journalists (Bill Moyers, e.g.) to advise the FCC on whether networks are fulfilling their obligation to "serve the public interest"...and if they're not............. I figure once you have an informed public, the rest (universal health care, the environment, etc.) pretty much takes care of itself.

This is not to say I find all of the above easily achievable, but that would be the direction I'd take.

23. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Air America can't even gin up enough listeners and advertisers to stay in business. You want to force radio stations to carry even more content that doesn't pay its own way? Conservative shows dominate the airwaves because people listen and advertisers pay. It's the free market.

24. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I am confused on how a bill will make energy both environmentally friendly and affordable. :confused:

Normally those people starving on the streets are not there because they are making minimum wage. They are there because of a variety of other reasons such as drug addictions, unemployment, or mental disorders.

25. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

You have my vote. I'd add a couple things though like creating new industry; jobs dedicated to engineering and building non-fossil based energy. I'd also unilaterally claim that any whaling vessels would be sunk without warning regardless of their origin. Pot legalized, although regulated. Income tax abolished. Carbon footprint halved over the next 5 years through aggressive legislation. Yes this would require massive lifestyle changes - tough doo doo for most fata$$ Americans. Repeal the patriot act. A real investigation of 911. Restoration of faith in both American Goverment and newsmedia.. well your post addresses this already, nevermind.