If I were to buy an iPhone 3g now wuld it be easy to sell if I wanted the next iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reminisce32, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Reminisce32 macrumors regular

Reminisce32

If I were to buy an iPhone 3G now, and then wanted the new iPhone when it comes out in June/July, do you think I'd be able to easily sell the 3G for a decent price? If so, how should I go about selling it and about how much could I get for it? Because I don't see too many 1st gen iPhones on eBay and wondering if there's a reason behind that.

2. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Sell it unlocked. That usually raises the value, even though there are iPhones in soo many countries already

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I sold my 1st gen iPhone for about $350 on ebay after I got my 3G. I unlocked it before listing it and made sure that the description said that it was unlocked. Look at the current range that unlocked iPhone 3G's are going for on ebay right now and I think it's safe to assume you'll get around the same price 3 months from now.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I think your bigger problem would be actually getting the new iPhone (if you're in the US) because AT&T doesn't offer it at the non-contract price at all.

5. pavvento macrumors 6502

That is true with the current iPhone. We don't know if it will be the same with the newer one (if there is one). We also don't know if AT&T will allow 3G iPhone users to purchase the next one subsidized as well as long as they re-up.

Usually AT&T lets you get the subsidy around 18 months after your last purchase. I would think that they are more than happy to give a small subsidy to lock people into a big data contract for even longer.