If I'm charging my 7+ daily, will I need a new battery next year??

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
For the past few years I've upgraded each fall. I got my 7+ in Sept. I'm not rushing for the 8/whatever it's called.. so do I need to plan on a new battery soonish? They say 400 charges but I don't hear people complaining they need a new battery every 1.5 years. What does one cost?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G3
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Why would you need a new battery after a year? If that was the case every iPhone battery would fail before the end of a standard 24 month contract. My 3 year old iPhone 6 that I gave to my mother in law still has an excellent battery.

Comment

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
Why would you need a new battery after a year? If that was the case every iPhone battery would fail before the end of a standard 24 month contract. My 3 year old iPhone 6 that I gave to my mother in law still has an excellent battery.
That's what I'm asking.. because I was just reading about charging and it said that the battery is only good for about 400 full charges, and I do that daily. In iPhone news, it's in the piece about proper charging like overnight. I have to fully charge mine every day.

Comment

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G3
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
That's what I'm asking.. because I was just reading about charging and it said that the battery is only good for about 400 full charges, and I do that daily. In iPhone news, it's in the piece about proper charging like overnight. I have to fully charge mine every day.
The 400 charge thing is completely false. I charge mine every single night and have not had any issues with any of the iPhones I've owned. :)

Reactions: Sunny1990
Comment

OriginalAppleGuy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I recharge all of my idevices daily. I still have a 4S that works. Get an app like Battery Life / Battery Pro if you are concerned. They show you the health of your battery and how much capacity is left. I've had my 7+ since last fall and it still has the designed 2900 mAh capacity. As a bonus, it includes charger information (source/amperage/power (w)).

Reactions: willmtaylor
Comment

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
I charge my iPhone 6 every night,never had any battery issues. Of course,the battery might not be in perfect condition,but it's good enough to not worry about it.

Comment

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
It is 800 cycles when the battery shrinks to about 80% of its capacity. Supposedly.

Comment

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
Officially, Apple says your phone will have at LEAST 80% of its design capacity left after 2 years or 500 cycles (https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/). This means you could use it for 10 years, and sure, it may have 60% of its design capacity left, but it'll still work.

Most cheap lithium ion batteries will lose at least 20% of their design capacity after 200 or so cycles. Higher quality lithium ion batteries, like the ones in the iPhone, can easily get to 400 cycles and still have 80% or more of its original design capacity left.

My wife and I bought our 6s+ phones in May 2016. I have around 220 cycles on mine. It has 94-96% of its design capacity left. My wife's iPhone 6s+ had 360 cycles+ and had 90% of her capacity left. She used her phone so much it hit 0% every day at least once. Me? I charge once every few days if that.

So even if you were a very heavy user, you should get several years out of your phone before it drops 20% (has less than 80% of design capacity left).

https://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/
https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

And for heavier reading: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Last edited:
Comment

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.
That's why I came in here.. because there are members here who know things lol. Just to clarify I DO a 90% charge daily because I don't charge until it's like 10% and I go to full.
[doublepost=1502582948][/doublepost]thanks all

Comment

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
That's why I came in here.. because there are members here who know things lol. Just to clarify I DO a 90% charge daily because I don't charge until it's like 10% and I go to full.
[doublepost=1502582948][/doublepost]thanks all
You intentionally only charge your phone to 90%?

Comment

davidg4781

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Just use your phone as you need it. The technology does what it needs to do. The only way to avoid it is to keep it plugged in all day or don't use it.

Comment

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
My 5c still does pretty well years later. I'd say that until you notice serious drain for no reason, I wouldn't rush to get a new battery.

Comment

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
Yes I meant that I fully charge my phone after it starts telling me it's got about 10% battery left. And I leave it on the charger until it's fully charged.

Changing the subject because I don't want to start a new thread and I haven't been able to find an answer… And it's not that important to ask right now…if anyone is still here; Since the new phone will have wireless charging apparently, will that work if you put a case on it?

Comment

timeconsumer

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I really feel like this is a subject that people overthink way too much. Just use your device and charge when you need to charge.

If you keep your devices for a long time then yes you will eventually need a battery replacement.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/

iPhone Owners
Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty includes service coverage for a defective battery. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery service for $79, plus $6.95 shipping, subject to local tax.

Comment

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
I really feel like this is a subject that people overthink way too much. Just use your device and charge when you need to charge.

If you keep your devices for a long time then yes you will eventually need a battery replacement.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/
I don't consider it overthinking -- I just wanted to clarify and understand something I read. :). I was just curious because at 65 I am now facing a social security/retired budget. I have really enjoyed getting the new iPhones in the past but it's something I will not be able to continue to do yearly. I've been enjoying speculating and looking forward considering purchase vs waiting this year. Not that you asked LOL. Thanks all

Comment

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
I don't consider it overthinking -- I just wanted to clarify and understand something I read. :). I was just curious because at 65 I am now facing a social security/retired budget. I have really enjoyed getting the new iPhones in the past but it's something I will not be able to continue to do yearly. I've been enjoying speculating and looking forward considering purchase vs waiting this year. Not that you asked LOL. Thanks all
Neither do I. Battery technology is something that is a HUGE hobby of mine. I've read quite a few books and spent countless hours reading about how to take care of my batteries online. http://www.mpoweruk.com/index.htm http://batteryuniversity.com/ (he wrote: https://www.amazon.com/Batteries-Portable-World-Rechargeable-Non-Engineers/dp/0968211844/)

There is a lot of misinformation out there. A lot of people tell me I have an OCD or I waste my time on batteries - hey, whatever makes them happy, I find it a hobby.

Biggest killer of batteries = heat. Keep it out of the sun, don't leave it in the car on a hot summer's day.

My boss had a iPhone 4s with near 1000 cycles up until last year. Batteries can last a long time - they'll take a little dump from original capacity. Within 2-3 years? I wouldn't worry bout it.

Reactions: Laryl
Comment

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
For the past few years I've upgraded each fall. I got my 7+ in Sept. I'm not rushing for the 8/whatever it's called.. so do I need to plan on a new battery soonish? They say 400 charges but I don't hear people complaining they need a new battery every 1.5 years. What does one cost?
Don't compare your device to statistics because then that will ruin your experience. If you feel like your device's battery needs to be replaced, take it to Apple to evaluate and go from there. If they replace it, good. If not, your battery's health is sufficient. By the time 1.5 years come around, you're already in the market to upgrade.

Comment

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016
Also none of the battery apps on the AppStore work anymore since iOS 10.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.