If I'm charging my 7+ daily, will I need a new battery next year??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Laryl, Aug 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Laryl macrumors regular

Laryl

For the past few years I've upgraded each fall. I got my 7+ in Sept. I'm not rushing for the 8/whatever it's called.. so do I need to plan on a new battery soonish? They say 400 charges but I don't hear people complaining they need a new battery every 1.5 years. What does one cost?

2. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Why would you need a new battery after a year? If that was the case every iPhone battery would fail before the end of a standard 24 month contract. My 3 year old iPhone 6 that I gave to my mother in law still has an excellent battery.

3. Laryl thread starter macrumors regular

Laryl

That's what I'm asking.. because I was just reading about charging and it said that the battery is only good for about 400 full charges, and I do that daily. In iPhone news, it's in the piece about proper charging like overnight. I have to fully charge mine every day.

4. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

The 400 charge thing is completely false. I charge mine every single night and have not had any issues with any of the iPhones I've owned. :)

5. tarsins macrumors regular

tarsins

It's probably 400 cycles you're seeing. If you charge your phone to 100% from 80% one day then from 20% the next, that's one cycle. So if you charge your phone from 50% every day you get 800 days, in theory.

6. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502

OriginalAppleGuy

I recharge all of my idevices daily. I still have a 4S that works. Get an app like Battery Life / Battery Pro if you are concerned. They show you the health of your battery and how much capacity is left. I've had my 7+ since last fall and it still has the designed 2900 mAh capacity. As a bonus, it includes charger information (source/amperage/power (w)).

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Does not matter if you charge once a day or every other day. It is all about full cycles. My old iPhone 6+ is still like new. Your use might vary but three years of use before even thinking about changing the battery is common.

8. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

I charge my iPhone 6 every night,never had any battery issues. Of course,the battery might not be in perfect condition,but it's good enough to not worry about it.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

10. matraco macrumors regular

It is 800 cycles when the battery shrinks to about 80% of its capacity. Supposedly.

11. KGB7 macrumors 6502a

KGB7

12. BigMcGuire, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017

BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Officially, Apple says your phone will have at LEAST 80% of its design capacity left after 2 years or 500 cycles (https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/). This means you could use it for 10 years, and sure, it may have 60% of its design capacity left, but it'll still work.

Most cheap lithium ion batteries will lose at least 20% of their design capacity after 200 or so cycles. Higher quality lithium ion batteries, like the ones in the iPhone, can easily get to 400 cycles and still have 80% or more of its original design capacity left.

My wife and I bought our 6s+ phones in May 2016. I have around 220 cycles on mine. It has 94-96% of its design capacity left. My wife's iPhone 6s+ had 360 cycles+ and had 90% of her capacity left. She used her phone so much it hit 0% every day at least once. Me? I charge once every few days if that.

So even if you were a very heavy user, you should get several years out of your phone before it drops 20% (has less than 80% of design capacity left).

https://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/
    https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

And for heavier reading: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

13. Laryl thread starter macrumors regular

Laryl

That's why I came in here.. because there are members here who know things lol. Just to clarify I DO a 90% charge daily because I don't charge until it's like 10% and I go to full.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2017 ---
    thanks all

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You intentionally only charge your phone to 90%?

15. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I think he means he runs it down to 10% daily and charge it to full.

16. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Just use your phone as you need it. The technology does what it needs to do. The only way to avoid it is to keep it plugged in all day or don't use it.

17. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

My 5c still does pretty well years later. I'd say that until you notice serious drain for no reason, I wouldn't rush to get a new battery.

18. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502

OriginalAppleGuy

I think you are right. Everything I've read says you don't want to do that. If it's how you use your device and it's all you can do, that's one thing. But I wouldn't intentionally wait for that to happen before charging.

19. Laryl thread starter macrumors regular

Laryl

Yes I meant that I fully charge my phone after it starts telling me it's got about 10% battery left. And I leave it on the charger until it's fully charged.

Changing the subject because I don't want to start a new thread and I haven't been able to find an answer… And it's not that important to ask right now…if anyone is still here; Since the new phone will have wireless charging apparently, will that work if you put a case on it?

20. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I really feel like this is a subject that people overthink way too much. Just use your device and charge when you need to charge.

If you keep your devices for a long time then yes you will eventually need a battery replacement.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/

21. Laryl thread starter macrumors regular

Laryl

I don't consider it overthinking -- I just wanted to clarify and understand something I read. :). I was just curious because at 65 I am now facing a social security/retired budget. I have really enjoyed getting the new iPhones in the past but it's something I will not be able to continue to do yearly. I've been enjoying speculating and looking forward considering purchase vs waiting this year. Not that you asked LOL. Thanks all

22. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Neither do I. Battery technology is something that is a HUGE hobby of mine. I've read quite a few books and spent countless hours reading about how to take care of my batteries online. http://www.mpoweruk.com/index.htm http://batteryuniversity.com/ (he wrote: https://www.amazon.com/Batteries-Portable-World-Rechargeable-Non-Engineers/dp/0968211844/)

There is a lot of misinformation out there. A lot of people tell me I have an OCD or I waste my time on batteries - hey, whatever makes them happy, I find it a hobby.

Biggest killer of batteries = heat. Keep it out of the sun, don't leave it in the car on a hot summer's day.

My boss had a iPhone 4s with near 1000 cycles up until last year. Batteries can last a long time - they'll take a little dump from original capacity. Within 2-3 years? I wouldn't worry bout it.

23. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

Don't compare your device to statistics because then that will ruin your experience. If you feel like your device's battery needs to be replaced, take it to Apple to evaluate and go from there. If they replace it, good. If not, your battery's health is sufficient. By the time 1.5 years come around, you're already in the market to upgrade.

24. akash.nu macrumors 68020

akash.nu

Also none of the battery apps on the AppStore work anymore since iOS 10.