If I'm on a 3G Unlimited Grandfathered plan do I get LTE speed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobright, Sep 14, 2012.

1. bobright macrumors 601

I read in another thread that 3G unlimited/grandfathered data plans will get LTE speeds unlimited but there is a throttle after 5gb or something to that sort is this true?

I was under the impression that 3G and LTE were completely different and in order to take advantage of LTE speeds I'd need to ditch my 3G unlimited plan and pay more for LTE 4G service?!

2. RobbySkateboard macrumors regular

3. snook911 macrumors 6502a

No, you won't need to pay more. If you bought the 5 you're unlimited data package will be transfered over to unlimited LTE with a throttle at 5GB. Right now there is a throttle at 3GB on the 3G unlimited data plan so this will be a little better.

4. Boiler macrumors regular

No, your grandfathered 3g unlimited is throttled after 3gb on 3g phones like iphone 4s

No, your grandfathered 4g LTE unlimited is throttled after 5gb on 4g phones like iphone 5

5. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

I'm not getting what you're saying, basically I never had 4G LTE Unlimited.

I've always had the original 3G unlimited data plan. Now with the new iPhone I chose my existing plan so I will or won't get LTE Unlimited? It seems like from the above posters and what I read I will get LTE Unlimited.

I'm really confused.

6. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

chow down

It's technology bumping up. Nothing changes except you get LTE where available when you are in areas serving the new dish.

Eat up. :cool:

7. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I'm assuming you are w/ AT&T? You can keep the unlimited plan BUT it will be replaced w/ the LTE unlimited plan and your 3G unlimited plan will go away. the unlimited LTE iPhone plan is only available to those w/ grandfathered iPhone unlimited data plans. When you place your order it will show your old unlimited data plan as replaced with the new unlimited LTE data plan for the same price.

I'm not w/ Verizon but from what I hear, you can only keep the unlimited plan if you purchase the unsubsidized iPhone at full price.

8. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

I am ready to pig out, guess it paid off all these years staying with AT&T and being grandfathered so now when tethering over to my iPad once jailbroken (shhh dont tell anybody) I will get a nice speed bump when on LTE?:D

Yes, I am on AT&T when I purchased via the Apple Store app I did not see anything about "LTE Unlimited" but I did choose existing plan which said details unavailable assuming this is the new "LTE Unlimited" you're talking about? Is there any way to see the new LTE Unlimited plan in writing?

It almost sounds to good to be true.

9. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

As long as you can choose existing plan, you'll be fine. My experience has been the same through each of my iPhone upgrades from 3GS > 4 > 4S. It's been discussed many many times over in other threads. You can search for the answers there. You won't lose it. If you're afraid, you should wait.

10. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

right im sure of being able to keep the unlimited ive always done it the same way as well generation after generation, what i just cant believe is that i'll now be getting unlimited LTE for the same price. is the reason they are doing this because they did away completely with 3G plans? is 3G of the old now and if you want a iphone as a new user LTE are the only plans?

11. dave006 macrumors 68020

Your existing Unlimited data plan will change to this one:

Dave

12. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks Dave and everybody for the clarification